Black water tank dropped in rear. Oh what fun!!!!

Started by Clyde9, September 10, 2009, 11:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clyde9

It all started a few weeks ago, I was taking a shower, and I heard a bang and the floor in the bath moved just a little. I was not sure what it could possibly be. I looked under the rig and looked for leaks and did not find anything.

Well, a week ago I started smelling wet wood. Only I was not able to find wet wood. Today I put 2 and 2 together and decided to run lots of water in the toilet and then ran out side to see,,,, Water pouring out from the top of the black water tank. Yup, the seal had broken. and the wood was starting to get soft. Two tabs from the rear of the tank had rotted, and gave way, dropping the tank about two inches on the rear side, breaking the seal to the toilet.

Okay, Time to get a couple of jacks and raise it back up after removing the toilet. I did so and went to the hardware store and picked up some sealant, wax seal and Silicone seal. Oh, and two rolls of plummer strap. With the tank lifted with the jacks, I installed the strap to hold it up. front to back because side to side I had no room on one side to attach the strap. I used 4 straps to hold it up. tightened it up with wood screws through the aluminum and wood. It should hold for a year. I am going to remove the tank and replace it or repair it depending on how bad the damage is. For now it should hold through winter.

I sealed the flange, and other fittings and installed the toilet, tightened it down.

Not much fun, I have just cleaned up my home, will take a shower at camp tonight. Not going to use my shower and toilet until tomorrow night.

I am not sure how much damage has been done to the wood, But will find out next summer when I pull the tank. That may be a good time to go with Black and Grey water tanks.

Jack
PS. I am too tired to take pics now, but may take some tomorrow of the straps.

Oz

Man, that really "stinks" when your black water tank takes a "dump"!  

:)rotflmao  :laugh:
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Clyde9

Needless to say, I had a real Sh!tty day yesterday!

:)rotflmao

Jack

Quasar

Hi

I am well into a restoration of a 1969 D-18 and have not used the shower/toilet combination. My question is whether or not there is a separation in the tank that separates black from grey water. Or......does one realize the tank is full when one is standing in....uuhhh.....potty water? A revolting development to say the least. There is of course only one tank and one dump valve.....

Thanks

Ken
Quasar..."Stubby" is 22 feet long and can go anyplace. Has 60,000 miles on it and is a runner. Will be replacing front springs, shocks and will be giving it a line up. Life is good

Clyde9

Hi Ken,

You only have a Black water tank (as long as nothing has been modified). Gray water bypasses the black water tank entirely. I do not have any gages on my 69 D22. I just make sure to empty at least once per week (when I am camping). Of course, I am just one man. A family of 3 or 4, will have to judge it by ear. Most newer models have indicators that tell when the tank is full. Next spring, I am going to replace my black water tank and also add a gray water tank. Shower, and sink water bypass the black water tank, you need to have an external tank or a drain to catch the gray water.

Jack

Quasar

Hi Jack.....

Many thanks for the information. It sounds like an intercept of the grey water outlets and a connection to an additional (installed) tank would do the job. I laid underneath the dang thing trying to figure out the plumbing...woke up an hour later with a bug walking across my face...but thats what happens when you are 77.

Thanks again

Ken
Quasar..."Stubby" is 22 feet long and can go anyplace. Has 60,000 miles on it and is a runner. Will be replacing front springs, shocks and will be giving it a line up. Life is good