Sewage tank drain valve repair

Started by MSN Member, September 18, 2009, 10:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alaska1932

Sent: 12/1/2003

How do you fix the sewage tank release valve? I have pulled it out to empty it but, nothing happened. On the waste water tank the release valve was very rusted and stuck and I had to put some WD40 on it and use pliers to pull it out, finally it released and I was able to empty that tank. Also, how hard is it to fix a leak in the plastic waste water tank, it has already been repaired once and is leaking alot where the repair was. Thanks----

DaveVA78Chieftain

Oewww, messy and stinky job that.  Sounds like the handle has broken loose from the slider valve.  They are standard RV slide valves.  Not really that hard to replace the valve but if the tank is filled, it's going to one big mess.  Sometimes you only have to replace the slide valve section (held together with nuts/bolts; pic of valve you freed up - http://www.campingworld.com/browse/products/index.cfm?deptID=3&subOf=44,19&prodID=1713).  Other times, you have to cut the pipe and install a whole new assembly.  Either way, if the the valve is completely stuck shut, once you make an opening, the tank contents are going to start flowing out onto the ground (have an ole timey wash tub handy?).  Parts are available from any RV place.  I have heard, most RV places will not work on it if the tank has not been emptied first.   From the sounds of things, it would be smart to replace both the grey and black water tank valves in order to avoid such problems later on.  It is also possible, the black tank drain opening is plugged up.  There is most likely a rubber transition fitting held on by large hose clamps attaching the tank exit pipe to the rest of the drainage pipes.   Those transition sleeves (3") are used for connecting different types of piping systems together and are avaialble from any plumbing supply or Lowes/Home Depot.  I had to replace my black tank dump valve but was able to save the old plastic pipe by carefully chipping away the glued portion (plastic pipe is glued together) of the pipe to be replaced.  I then sanded the area smooth.  I also did the same thing when I converted from the oddball size Thetford drain end connector to a standard rv drain end.  That way, I can even get replacement parts (end cap, 45 degree fittings, sewer hose pieces, etc.) at Wal-mart.   The unique Thetford replacement pieces will always cost you about 3 times as much as the standard rv stuff as well as being harder to locate.  Sure hope your tank is not full!

Good luck
Dave
78 26' Chieftain
[move][/move]

Oz

Dave is right, more likely than not you are going to have to cut out the slider valve if it isn't working properly.  The system on my Winnie was plastic pipe that was glued together.  So I had to cut.  No big deal since I had to re-fiberglass the tank due to a little accident, but the tank still leaks.  The valves are reasonably priced at any local RV supply store.  Be sure to keep the rubber O ring greased to keep the slider from leaking in the future.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

DaveVA78Chieftain

Guess I'm a stingy ole man, Mark.  I chiseled the old parts off without cutting the pipe!   Sanded it smooth and attached the new pieces.  The flanges the valve screws attach to were torn up so that is why I had to replace the whole assembly.  Hopefully, Alaska will only have to change the slider body section.  Still, if her tank has a lot of stuff in it, I do not envy her situation.  Stinky and messy it is.  I looked at mine before putting any water in the tank so I knew it had to be replaced.  She needs to move the rig off some place, break open the fittings, let it drain and move it back to her work area.  No use messing up the work area with that sort of mess.

Dave
[move][/move]

JDxeper

Dropped off the old dumps and got the materials to replace both valves total cost was $108. Took me about 4 hrs but I am slow.  Both my dumps were cracked and were leaking and also leaking around tank drain..
Hm? 
Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)