My $2800 1988 Chieftain 31 work in progress.

Started by Groove, July 02, 2014, 12:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Groove

Hello all,

My Wife has been wanting an RV for many years, so when this 88 Chieftain showed up on Craigslist for $2800 we jumped on it. The previous owner bought it two years ago and used it three times, once while towing his truck behind it. It needs some work, total mileage is 47,462 with 45 hours on the generator, left front brake is dragging, right rear brake is seized open, front airbags are split, the water heater is leaking from somewhere (I hope it's a fitting), and the aux batteries are shot. I drove it to the gas station and back, witch is how I found out  the front brake was dragging/smoking. I'm replacing the rubber brake hoses and reverse bleeding/flushing the system tonight or tomorrow. We're hoping to take a short 65 mile trip to Lake Dunmore in VT at the end of the month if I can get the brakes roadworthy by then. Everything else seems to work OK...for now. It's served as a guest house twice since we bought it a few months ago, some fellow motorcycle adventurers from Finland stopped by for a few days to say hello and defer travel costs. I didn't think I'd like it as much as I do.

Rickf1985

Looks just like my 89 but better condition and you have the much better chair and table layout. Do you have the spring suspension or air bag suspension in the rear?

Rick

Groove

Stripe

Hahahaha, Nice key chain!  Welcome to the forums. And try not to trip, you'll end up in Canada that close to the border.. 

Quote from: Groove on July 02, 2014, 12:02 PM
I didn't think I'd like it as much as I do.
This happens more often than you think.. They grow on you pretty quickly.. :D

The Airbags are relatively inexpensive and can be installed in a relatively short period of time.  There are several entries in the forums on how to do this for the front and I think for the back as well..
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

Rickf1985

My rear is air bag only, same as a semi. Nice ride but the air system is a PITA.

M & J

M & J

ramit

Wbago

Sweet! .. . wish mine had been that cheap lol :D

Liking those blinds on the window too, dammit :D

Groove

I finally had a chance to get some work done! My left front brake was dragging and smoking last time I drove the beast around the neighborhood, so I changed the rubber hose and completely flushed the brake system the old fashioned way, with my Wife pumping the pedal and me turning the bleeders. The brakes don't drag anymore but the stopping isn't much better than before, maybe the power boost has air in it? The power boost unit is wet with PS fluid, but the fluid is still full. Now that the brakes work I had a chance to get out and see how it handles at speed. Not well. There's an imbalance in the rear wheels at around 50mph and the front shocks are shot. Boing boing boing at 55mph through a curve is...puckery. I've got 2 weeks before we take the Chieftain on it's 65 mile journey to VT for a week, so shocks are needed quick. Onward!

Wbago

sounds scary... need to get that sorted, dude . .. mines a bit bouncy, but not really scary lol :P

JessEm

I think you stole that RV. It looks very clean.

And :)ThmbUp to the keychain. I don't watch much TV but that show was awesome.

Groove

I just found my parts on Amazon for a decent price, $25 each for some Gabriel Ultra shocks, and $81.69 for the Air Lift airbag kit. Free shipping too!

LJ-TJ

Geeesss I don't know she looks pretty sweet to me. A little wrenching and she'll be as good as new.

ClydesdaleKevin

Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Groove

One airbag replaced, waiting for my shocks to arrive before I go any further.

Old shock is old:

The current state of my water heater: