Generator muffler routing

Started by mnoyes, October 23, 2013, 09:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mnoyes

could someone post a pic of how the gen muffler should go on a 73 brave d18...i had another member concerned about how my muffler was routed, to the front of the rig..im not sure if this is correct or if it presents a problem with carbon monoxide poisoning.   thks

Madathlon

If memory serves me right, Your Genset is in the right hand side rear corner of your Brave. Most likely you have the OEM Onan CCK. the exhaust should be routed out the side or to the rear and extend beyond the RV body by at least six inches. It should be no where near any windows that open.

If you can please get photos and then I can say for sure if it is routed correctl
Madathlon
   CWO4 Motor Pool Chief (retired)
   Onan Master Installer/Service Tech
   Mercury Marine Golden Wrench
   OMC Master Marine Tech
   ASE Master Tech

LJ-TJ

If you look real close you can see the muffler just below the generator and it faces to or exhausts to the rear.

mnoyes

thanks guys for the info and picture,,,that is NOT how mine i routed,,,mine comes down and to the right(front) of mh....i have a pincore gen that was removed from a different mh and installed in mine by po...so now i will take a hard look at figuring out how to route the exhaust out the back....tks again from "still alive"

ClydesdaleKevin

As long as it exits to the side of the coach, it doesn't matter if its pointing front or rear when it leaves the genny.  If it exits under the coach, then you have a dangerous situation with carbon monoxide. 

If it points forward, a simple and cheap solution would be to install an elbow on the end, and a long enough extension to the elbow so that it exits a few inches out from the side of your coach wall.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Madathlon

Kev is right on that. But the longer the exhaust the more back pressure it places on the gen-set also. and that robs you of power.

But no matter what you do. DOT requires that when the tail pipe leaves from under the body that it exhausts 6 inches from the body and that it is no where near any opening of other form of air intake.
Madathlon
   CWO4 Motor Pool Chief (retired)
   Onan Master Installer/Service Tech
   Mercury Marine Golden Wrench
   OMC Master Marine Tech
   ASE Master Tech

ClydesdaleKevin

On the Ark, the Generac genset exhaust exited about an inch beyond the wall of the RV, but came with a 10 inch extention pipe that just slipped over it when you were parked.  That might be the way to go...something that won't stick out when driving but sticks out far enough to vent exhaust if you are running the genny while driving the rig, but a removable extention pipe that you can slip on when parked.  I don't know about you, but something sticking out 6 inches or more from my RV is going to reach out and bite me or trip me when I walk by, especially if its on the passenger side/porch!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Stripe

Have a look at this home made Gen-turi.  The first post is of material list, the third down are the pics. http://www.barthmobile.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/3631087061/m/8381039061/?f=3631087061&a=tpc&m=8381039061&s=7031072951&cdra=Y
I think I just might make one as I will be Full timing soon..
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28