Mobile Internet Access?

Started by Oz, March 11, 2010, 11:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ibdilbert01

I do the same thing, I try to hop onto open WiFis when I can. 

There are also some free but limited MiFi service available.

http://www.freedompop.com
http://www.netzero.net/

As for phone, JD introduced me to Republic Wireless, with tax it ends up being 21.70, unlimited text/talk/data.     
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

Stripe

Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

James E Vining

Hey coachman that only works if you can get access to a open Wifi Network, (someone left there internet connection open, local Rest stops that have wifi etc) I think what would be the best (what I would get if I was traveling a lot) would be one of the mobile hotspots, They have changed so much in last 6 months as is with computer technology they have them now I have seen that you can hook up 5 computers, will Roam if you are on the road, basically anywhere you can get cell phone coverage you can get internet access and the newest technology is the 4G LTE last I checked and it is a bit waster then the 4G but nothing like what I get at home.

Plus be aware that some carriers claim to be unlimited but actually have data limits which I found to be ridiculous like 20GB a month or something ridiculously low like that.

I use about 70-100 GB per month here at home with 2 computers and a Sony Streaming player using Netflix, Vudu, etc.
Like this unit here with 12 Mbps download and 5Mbps upload I think

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/ZTE+-+Verizon+Jetpack+4G/3G+Mobile+Hotspot+(Verizon+Wireless)/5568876.p?id=1218662123867&skuId=5568876&contract_desc=

Anyway I hope this helps some.

mrmuse

Yes, a viable, and cheap option.  As for weather I've had snow, blizzards, ice, you name it and the only problems were when the source (Starbucks) lost power.

I personally use the Netgear I posted in the link, it is plugged into the 24 db parabolic grid antenna on the antenna side, and a Linksys WRT54G wireless router via RJ45 CROSSOVER CABLE!  WILL NOT WORK WITHOUT IT.  ONCE TOROUTER IT'S PLUG AND PLAY.  Now because I was pulling a signal 27 miles away, I used an inline lightning arrestor (for earth ground) and a 1 watt send/receive amp (like a linear for ham radio), and my antenna was mounted on a 110 foot tower, but with the short 50 yards you shouldn't need the amp.  Wireless has changed over the years but the good news is, it's backward compatable.  Just don't mix 5.0, or 900 mhz into the mix.   Keep every component compatible to "B" and you will be fine..

Another nice thing, most Netgear/Linksys products are +5 or +12 volts, making it easy on RV's.

Gregg

ps.  You also need to use a public email ie:  Yahoo, Gmail etc.  Companies like Charter won't log you in without a Charter IP address.

I just want you to understand, ANY bridge should work that has a detachable antenna so you can connect an external one, proper cables, lightning protection, etc.

Oz

We get a lot of lightening here (Tampa is the lightening capital of the US).  Should the lightening arrestor be considered like a GFI is to electrical things - better safe than have crispy fried components?
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Oz

Ahhh... simple, little gadget.  Looks like there's pretty much nothing to it!

:)
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca