Aux fuel filter?....where do i look?

Started by dreib, August 27, 2010, 06:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dreib

So my generator is not getting fuel from the aux tank...I need a heads up where to find the filter...
thanks!   
1974 chieftan custom d29

DaveVA78Chieftain

1.  Is the tank > 10% full?  The pickup tube does not go to the bottom of the tank so that there is a gas reserve that will inable you to make it to a gas station.
2.  Generator fuel fiter will be attached to the genny so, what model generator?

Dave
[move][/move]

dreib

the tank is full .. I guess i should have said im not getting gas to the fuel filter thats on the genny i thought there may be one inline before it also.
I pulled the hose off  and nothin....sucked on it a bit..LOL...and got some gunk and then nothin...I need a quick fix if possibe. Thanks!

LJ-TJ

Two suggestions. 1) Follow the fuel line from the genny back to the fuel tank and see if a PO added an inline fuel filter?  Hm? 2) If not then disconect the fuel line at the generator, take the gas "gas caps" off and then take your air hose a blow air back from the generator line into the fuel tank to hopefully clear any blockage in the line. Let us know how you make out.

JDxeper

I believe  the generator pulls from the main tank, not the aux tank. MY main tank is in the rear, 50 gal, the aux tank is passenger side 38 gal. My genset pulls from rear or main tank. ( how do I know , the gen set quit, put gas in main tank and it ran again.)  1978 Brave 23rgb ,dodge Comment anyone?
JD
Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

RV Mech Tech

Check your line back to the main tank as TJ has suggested - if you use air and the line is split you will hear the air escaping  in the line before the tank or on top of the tank if not you will be able to hear the air at the filler neck - if they used a fitting to attach the hose to the tank and its plastic it may be broken as well (usually the earlier RV's used metal fittings) - also if you had gunk coming out of the line at the genset end your fuel line is probably rotted - you may be looking at dropping the tank if this is the case - also look for stains on the chassis around where the fuel line is positioned along the fame rail - gas will always leave some kind of stain .

dreib

I got it goin for now in a frantic hurry up hail mary after work yesterday. I remebered having a little hand pump syphon thingy so taped the piss out of it to my gas line and gave her hell. After doing that a couple different times the genny finally cranked up and ran great, as needed, which was actually quite a bit last night.
So I guess my plan is to run all the gas i can out of my aux tank before winter and deal with the cleaning the tank this coming spring, or maybe just wait until an hour before i gotta leave with her.....who knows?

JD- my generator pulls from the aux tank for sure-

JDxeper

Glad you got her going.  You might add an in-line fuel filter, just help keep track of whats going on.
I think Winnebago added the genset fuel line to the closest tank, you never know which tank. Hm?
Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

LJ-TJ

My genny  runs out of the rear tank closest to the gen on a separate line.