Onan 6.5 Generator: Correct dwell angle?

Started by sharkfot, August 09, 2009, 09:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sharkfot

I have an Onan 6.5 genset--I was wondering if i can set the point spread with a dwell meter and if so what the correct setting might be--does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks,

Ben III

Arberg0

If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little.
George Carlin (1937 - 2008)

"The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." --Thomas Jefferson

Arberg0

If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little.

"The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." --Thomas Jefferson

sharkfot

Lots of good info, but I do not see a specific dwell angle spec listed--only a timing degree of 21o BTC--not sure how this translates into dwell angle.
Ben II

Arberg0

the problem is the dwell angle changes as the wiper on the points wears That's the dwell time, normally defined as the degrees of rotation of the camshaft during which the points are closed. Too little dwell and the coil doesn't have time to charge up fully. Too much dwell and the coil has bled off some charge, causing a weak spark. Hesitation, low power, misfiring, pinging and a number of other conditions are symptoms of incorrect dwell.

arberg9 :)ThmbUp

Arberg0

The procedure in the manual just talks about rotating flywheel until points open then should read 20deg  but then adds that you can use a timing light to zero it in. You slide the point box to advance or retard.The only problem with the timing light is the spark plug wires are shielded and with an induction pickup it won't work a freind of mine says timing is not really a issue  usally a bad condenser is more of a problem

arberg0