Dwell setting problem (318), Ignition upgrade

Started by MSN Member, December 05, 2008, 05:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MSN Member

Sent: 6/18/2002 12:37 AM

I'm having trouble setting the dwell on my 69 318 to the specified value (33 degrees). The gap I need to use to get the dwell right is smaller than my smallest feeler gauge (.011). What could cause this kind of problem? The points sre reasonably new and I have the same symptom on the old points.

Gene
69 D-22S

Sent: 6/18/2002 4:03 AM

Worn distributor peaks?

Sent: 6/18/2002 3:28 PM

i concur with the previous post. also, a lot of aftermarket points use to have excessive spring tension so they wouldn't "float" at high rpm. this would cause rubbing block wear and lobe wear if you didn't lube well.
my suggestion is to open up the points a little. try to get close to the dwell range. if it starts and runs okay-leave it. if it misses and is hard to start get a later distributor and module that eliminates the problem. regards, chip.

Sent: 6/20/2002 12:34 PM

Thanks for the replies, The dwell setting is good now. I bought a new set of points from Napa and was able to set them correctly. The old points were from Autozone. Visually they are very close but apparently the new set is better.

Gene

Sent: 6/20/2002 5:49 PM

I just installed an electronic ignition in my 318.  It was easier than replacing the points.  Seems to idle better and has good acceleration but too soon to tell if my mileage is better.  I installed the Pertronix Ignitor II and it cost $90.  I might also add their Flame-thrower II coil for about $30.  If it ever fails the conversion back to the points could be done in about ten minutes.

Pointless Jim Ferguson, 72 Indian

Sent: 6/21/2002 9:18 AM

Hi Jim, I have a straight 6 300 ford engine is it possible I can do samething with my engine?? I am not a mechanic and most ladys aren't.   LOL.. ak. gal

Sent: 6/21/2002 11:45 AM

The kit I bought is a simple conversion that fits inside the distributor.  They probably have one for a Ford Six.  Simply remove the points and condensor, install the plate and pickup module (two screws), slip on the magnet and rotor, hook up two wires and start it up.  Couldn't be any easier.

Good luck,
Jim
72 Indian