Ghetto hot water tank repair?

Started by rattlenbang, July 05, 2013, 07:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rattlenbang

I discovered that my hot water tank has a leak and has had one for what looks like a very long time. Lots of corrosion on the tin. I pulled the tank and cleaned it up, and found the hole. I plugged it with epoxy putty for now, but looking for a longer fix. My choices are a new tank (amazingly available after 40 years) for $300.00, or a weld repair which would add a whole new bottom to the tank for $100.00. While the last one appeals to me, I'm the type that loathes having someone else fix my stuff, but I don't have a tig welder. I'm wondering about a rubber patch covered with sheet metal and held in place with several self-tapping stainless screws around the hole. Any opinions on whether this would work? I'm not sure what kind of pressure is in these kind of water systems, but it seems to me that metal over rubber held tightly in place should work.

DaveVA78Chieftain

tig welded patch works

Aluminum MIG welding with gas works (flux core aluminum wire not available)

Aluminum Bronze weld will work on a pinhole but the flux boils resulting in pinhole leaks for a split tank (winter freeze)

Epoxy patch will work for a season or so if you can get it to hold under heated water pressure.  It will fool you by holding cold water pressure but fail when heated up.

Best option is a replacement tank or a new unit.  Determine tank P/N (http://www.marksrv.com/store52/agora.cgi?cart_id=6447674.13485&product=Atwood%20water%20heater%20parts&user4=replacement tanks) then look around a bit.  Should be able to find one around $200

[move][/move]

maxximuss

Kwik steel might help you with this till you replace it. It's a 2 part epoxy that works wonders.

rattlenbang

The stuff I used was similar. Funny no one has offered a comment about my suggested patch method.

Froggy1936

David i have a roll of MIG aluminum flux core That i purchased at Home Depot It is a fairly new item . I have not used it yet But it does now exist !     P.S. the usual pressure in a R.V syestem is under 50 LB PSI usually( mine is set at 45 PSI ) But when hooked up to a city supply can go as high as 80 PSI

As far as your patch idea goes I think not !!  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

moonlitcoyote

Well my husband says it should work if you can caulk it. That is the type of repair that he would do. Then if it doesnt work you can always buy a new one after you at least try it.

DaveVA78Chieftain

QuoteAs far as your patch idea goes I think not !!

Not exactly sure what you mean.  I have seen both weld a split direct (no cover patch) and a rectangle patch used.  They both used tig welding though.

Thanks, I will keep a look out for aluminum flux core mig wire.

For reference, I have tried the epoxy and aluminum brazing methods with only temporary results.  Epoxy failed after a year.  Couldn't keep Brazing from having pin hole leaks.

Dave

[move][/move]

rattlenbang

So much for the epoxy; it didn't hold under cold water pressure. :'( I am curious about a screwed-on patch, but the way these things work usually you spend hours fighting with something and end up taking it in anyway. Every now and then you get lucky or stumble on something great, but not often. I once tried to fix a cracked plastic auto radiator tank using everything at my disposal, but no dice. Some things can't be fixed.

ClydesdaleKevin

Try an RV junkyard.  You might be able to get a whole newer hot water heater for less than the cost of just a tank.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

M & J

Affirmative on what Kevin said. I replaced our  water heater with a 2009 Atwood for $300 from a salvage yard. I helped pull it and they bench tested it before I paid for it. Only 100 more than just a tank and better than half the cost of a new one.
M & J

pvoth1111

What is your safety worth?? Mine is worth way more than a couple hundred bucks. fix it correctly
We call our coach "Charlie Brown"

DonD

Recently put in a new Atwood, paid $262.41
Don and Mary
2000 TC1000 Bluebird bus conv.

rattlenbang

Not sure what safety issue is pertinent here, but While in the campground I decided to give this a go as a temp repair. It worked (so far).

[smg id=5321]

pvoth1111

When you heat water it creates pressure and it can fail terribly and if the tank is in bad shape I wouldn't trust the relief valve either....BOOM!!! A hot water heater can level a house I 'm  sure if it "failed" it would have any trouble ripping through your coach and you in it...its your call just don't park next to me.

pvoth1111

I just looked on ebay and you can get a heater for less than a hundred bucks that can automatically switch between 110 and LP....others are a couple hundred or less....why not just fix it right by replacing it with a new one that may out last the coach?

maxximuss

I have to agree with Pvoth. I didn't think of the potential hazard that could be overlooked. 

rattlenbang

Holy smokes I think that's a real reach. These aren't pressure vessels. They are limited by the pressure ratings of the water system itself as it is open to both cold and hot water lines. Over pressure could theoretically happen if the propane system kicked in and stayed on and set the water to boiling, but I can guarantee that that patch would blow off long before the pressure release valve went. How does one go from patching a leak in a tank to making a bomb?
This was an experiment based on curiosity no more, obviously I will have to replace the tank or heater. But an exploding tank that would rip through the coach is not realistic.

pvoth1111

I would rather be wrong than you be wrong....I hope I'm wrong.

Stripe

When I was in the Navy we used patches similar to the one you used RnB, on pressurized piping, they seemed to hold pretty darn well until we got to a shipyard which usually took a few months to get to.  My only modification I would do to that would be a metal strap around the tank over the patch.  Gives it a bit more security and if the patch were to  "pop" the banding would mitigate any projectile hazards..  Also, dun forget to rewrap it in insulation and an outer hard cover.. :)
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

moonlitcoyote

Nice patch job, I dont see any problems since its not the propane that leaking. If anything your patch wont hold and you'll lose water. No big deal. You can come park next to me.

Oz

It looks very secure and although the water gets hot and is under some pressure, it's not like a pressure cooker.  With the rubber seal, if there were any issue at all, I think the water would leak out from the spaces between the rivets.

The only issue I can think of is, with that hole patched, if there's a really thin, rusted spot somewhere else, that's where you might get a new leak.  So, you can see that replacement tanks and even replacement water heaters can be purchased at very reasonable prices.

I also assume you have an on-demand pump so, when you're not using the water, the pressure is maintainded by the closed system.  The only time pressure is added is when you open a faucet or water outlet in order to maintain the flow.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

rattlenbang

It's been a couple of days, and so far it works fine. I'm happy. Meanwhile I just found a replacement tank for $150 bucks at a wrecker that he swears is in pristine condition. So it was a fun experiment. But I also installed a shutoff valve for both the propane and cold water line to the tank, because I hate it when appliances don't have shutoffs and you have to shut down and drain systems if you ever need to work on them. Swapping the tank will take like 15 minutes now.  :)clap