Onan muffler/resonator has a hole the bottom? Is it a drain?

Started by MSN Member, December 13, 2009, 06:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lumpy

Sent: 02/08/2008

I have a onan 4.0cck gen set and I was giving a good once over and noticed that the Muffler/resonator that is under the unit right where it exits the generator bay has a small hole tin the bottom of it. it seems to be solid and it appears to be possibly a drain hole ?

Is this normal??

Mike

jbmhotmail

Sent: 03/08/2008

Mike
It's a drain hole. My 85 onan has a 1/8 or 1/4 pipe plug in it, it was a steel plug and I replaced it with a brass plug, I removed the old plug when muffler was hot and used never-seize on the new one. When you remove your plug, let the generator run for a few minutes to blow any rust out.
Good luck
Jerry

denisondc

My gen. muffler also came with a drain hole in its bottom, right out of the box. Its about 1/8".

lumpy

Thanks guys , Mine is about 1/8 inch also.  Should it be plugged with a screw or just left open?

Right now, it is just open.  I'm sure it adds no noise but I was a bit concerned about carbon monoxide gas.  Cannot see it being run that much to be concerned but, who knows?

Mike

RV Mech Tech

Mike - that hole is a service port for removing carbon from the muffler after so many hours of use - this is a maintenance procedure after so many hours of running and it should tell you this in your generator manual if you have one- all the new Onan generator mufflers have one or two plugs and as Jerry says running the engine with the plug out for a few minutes will remove any carbon or anything else that can accumalate and plug the muffler. :)ThmbUp