Spam

Started by Dolores, January 31, 2016, 02:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dolores

Good Morning from the UK.  I know this might be an odd thing to ask.... for the last few months I have been receiving a lot of Spam mail from the US, varying from hair loss to Tinnitus, pensions to betting, you name it-I've been offered it.  I haven't asked for anything from anyone in the US, so do you think it could be something to do with me asking questions on this site?

SLEETH

shouldn't have a effect = maybe you need a better spam filter

LJ-TJ

Naw, Somebody's picked up your e-mail address from a personal e-mail you've send or possible one of your friends has done a forward all and a troll has picked up your e-mail address. Looking up MAIL WASHER http://www.mailwasher.net/. We've been using it for a decade with no problem.  Hm?

Dolores

Quote from: SLEETH on January 31, 2016, 07:16 AM
shouldn't have a effect = maybe you need a better spam filter

I've tried banning anything from the US but it does not give me the choice of individual states.  Most of it comes from act.pbs.org.  Ever heard of it?  I block Senders and Domains but they still come through. It is annoying.

SLEETH

i agree = wife has same problem= 17+ per day=with no end in site=so i just keep a blocking

TerryH

According to the below link - not terribly helpful - you are not alone. Possibly, at some point, you were on a reliable PBS site that was fished or rerouted you to another that was.
As for LJ-TJ's suggestion of Mail Washer, I use it as well, like it, and it's free.

http://pbsdigital.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/12000001325-i-am-getting-a-ton-of-emails-from-pbs-how-can-i-make-it-stop-
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

Dolores

So it's scammers not genuine pbs. What a pain in the butt. If I click on Unsubscribe...am I just telling the scammers my email address is 'live'?    Perhaps it's better just to ignore and delete. I will look into Mailwasher, seems a good idea.  many thanks yet again to all of you. x

TerryH

Delete without opening the email. Once you open it you are susceptible to potential problems.
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

LJ-TJ

Yeah! TerryH is right. DON'T open it. Just Delete it. Once you open it you let them know that e-mail is alive and well. They know it's a good address and will start hammering you. Hm?

beaverman

MAN, I read the title of this and my mouth started watering! :D :D :D , thought I was going to get another good recipe for Spam !  :)rotflmao :)rotflmao

M & J

M & J

tiinytina

I've had the same problem only folks "spoofing" my email so its my mdcitrus handle but with various stuff after the (at)....  I contacted my mail provider and notified them about the abuse etc...  it has mostly stopped... grumble.. 
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!