advise on buying rv

Started by starrebel, July 21, 2014, 10:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

starrebel

I have been looking at a Rv but can't seem to make up my mind. Would like to get opinions on what other people think. Here is the URL for the ad.
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&cat=143&ad=29842712

What I know. When I went to look at it the owner had the engine running when I got there. He said he had to jumpstart it because it had been sitting for awhile. So I am pretty sure there are some electrical problems. The generator has no power to it but he says the father used to run it. It looks in good condition. There is in the battery compartment the chassis battery and 2 deep cycle batteries. There is a solar panel on the roof and in another compartment there are 6 batteries. There is no power to the coach at all but there are switches that are not normal so I am pretty sure that it is a matter of figuring out what the father did. I don't want to start just flippin switches til I figure out what they go to. I have not hooked it up to shore power as of yet but appliances and everything seems to be in excellent condition. The passenger side dash is missing son said they broke it when they were replacing the engine so that will have to be replaced. He also narrowed the width of the bed and took out the dinette and added a desk so we will have to find someone parting one out. It also has 6 brand new tires. The father was fixing to take it on the road and live off grid. Thanks for the advise. Normally I would just run but since I have joined this site I am confident that we can figure it out.  The motor is definitely rebuilt and purrs like a kitten. Transmission is also rebuilt. I will be heading up that way in about an hour to drive it and hook it up to shore power so will be around here and there. He will take 4800 for it. Thanks
Mike

DonD

Too many "used to's" and elec. issues for me at that price. If there's any water intrusion signs, I'd make a very low offer if any. The new engine is a plus but how many miles are on the chassis and why did the OEM eng. fail?

If it's water tight, no water damage and the elec is just flat batts...maybe..

I'd have the owner fire up everything to be sure it works.

To me that's a premium price for a not so premium rig as it sits right now.
Don and Mary
2000 TC1000 Bluebird bus conv.

Froggy1936

I do not agree with Don This is a very good deal for $4800.00 You can spend that much on any older Rv in a very short time . This engine and trans are good for a long time it is a fiberglass body a very big plus the tires are worth $1200.00 Alone .Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

starrebel

That's what I thought at first which is why I didn't drive it when I was there. After coming home and doing some research they are very rare. You can find the class c in 22ft but can't even find another class a. found a 23 ft for 8900. There is not a hint of any water leakage anywhere and is in immaculate condition other than the few downgrades the owner made. The 22 ft is a plus for me as I do a lot of off road camping. I figure I will put everything back to stock and then deal with the solar system and extra batteries. Will also be taking a volt meter with me to assess the battery condition and see if generator is getting any power. From the way it looks there is nothing wrong with it. It is super clean but will know more in a bit.
Mike

starrebel

I am fairly sure there is just a switch that was installed so he could go from solar to coach batteries but I am thinking it is a good deal. There is a switch up by the dash but don't want to start flipping things til I know where they go and what they do. It is in excellent condition. Will know more in a bit. Previous owners son said the rv ran but had overheating problems so before he was going to go on road he replaced it all. If stuff works whn I hook into shore power I will be more confident.
Mike

Lefty

At $4,800 you should be in pretty good shape. Even so, unless the seller hooks it up to power and shows you that every appliance works incl. the roof A/C... I would counter offer a lower figure and negotiate up from there. Since it sounds like HE didn't spend the money that was invested in the coach (his father did), and HE doesn't apparently have a clue how to finish getting it roadworthy, and HE probably got the thing for free after his father died... he likely rather see it just gone and make a few bucks, than be stuck with it sitting in his driveway. Use that to your advantage. He knows it has some value, because of the new engine and stuff... but he's obviously priced it higher than he was hoping to actually get for it, or he wouldn't have come down to $4,800... I'd bet he'd have a real hard time turning down 30 nice crisp new $100 bills spread out in a fan on a table in front of him. especially if after you laid them down, you told him flat out that that was absolutely the maximum you would pay for it, period or you would walk.
The engine, trans. and new tires.. along with the rest of the stuff changed all add up to a solid roadworthy RV, as long as the brakes, suspension and steering are all ok.
I know nothing about solar power, but we have a few members here that are very knowledgeable on that subject.
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

starrebel

Hope photobucket works this time. I went ahead and bought it ran like a new one on the way home. motor wise anyways pulls slightly right. Seemed like it was running a little hot on the temp gage between 200 - 220. Was running at 70 when it hit 220. It was over 100 deg. Shared some pictures. Price started at 6000 and 4800 was what he took and apparently his siblings weren't happy to let it go for that. Now I have to get ready to pack for vacation have to catch a plane at 8AM. Will have to sort it all out later. Dash was the exact same dash as my 79 but wrong color. Will have to keep an eye on the parting out ads for a dinette and a tan dash. The 79 is brown value for loan was 10,700 so I feel pretty good about the deal. Thanks for the advise. Here are some pics.

http://s1156.photobucket.com/user/mmagyar1/embed/slideshow/1989%20Itasca%20spirit
Mike

DonD

Cool, hope it serves you well.
Don and Mary
2000 TC1000 Bluebird bus conv.

starrebel

Thanks Don. If she doesn't I will persuade her with my wrenches and stuff lol. I also forgot to mention that the chassis mileage was 43,304. Son told me he had overheating problems with it. He had installed some fans to help but had them wired with a switch. He was pulling the big hill coming out of Las Vegas and forgot to turn the fans on. For some reason He did not have the radiator rodded and repaired or replaced when he put the new engine in. If it continues to overheat I will get that fixed right away.
Mike

Lefty

"For some reason He did not have the radiator rodded and repaired or replaced when he put the new engine in. "

The receipt for repairs shown in the ad lists "Radiator-New Core-Repairs $460"

My question would be.. "Why is a new engine, with a new water pump and thermostat, and a freshly re-cored radiator overheating? And why would it need extra electric fans? One thing that they did not list is a new fan clutch to go along with the new radiator, water pump, hoses, reservoir, and thermostat... That could be a part you can look into as a possible start. The other possibilities are that the timing is incorrect, the exhaust is restricted (clogged muffler?), or the carb is running too lean.
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

starrebel

Lefty I was looking at my phone trying to blow up the picture and must have missed that up at the top. I also said it seemed to be running hot. It never skipped a beat and never blew any coolant out the overflow. When it hit 220 I was pushing 70mph and was about 102 deg. At 220 the thermal fan kicked in and temp dropped to 190 in a matter of a couple minutes. It was not the deafening roar I get on the 79 when it sounds like it kicks up to about 6000 rpms and drops a gear. I slowed down to 60 and the hottest it got was about 210 which should be normal for a 195deg thermostat. Will know more about it in the next few weeks. Thanks
Mike