Schmitti's '76 Winnebago

Started by Schmitti, July 18, 2014, 08:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schmitti

I think the same. I have now ordered everything for the Dana70 axis, which one could use so. Until the axis is revised, the Winni is not moved to avoid any further damage.

Thomas
Understeer is when you see the tree, if you'll take. Oversteer is when you only hear him on impact.

Schmitti

Now it goes on. The planned renewal of all rear axle bearings can start. The installed Dana70 rear axle is available in three versions. From "Light" to "Heavy Duty" everything is possible but not visible from the outside. So I ordered all three variants.

Incl. Oil and a new diff cover is as far as possible ready for renewal.

Various remodeling ideas I still have at the Winni and by the way I have today a "new" seat fitted. Of course, the seat rails were so unsuitable that a completely new substructure was necessary.
Right the old seat with bogie and left of the well Used with fixed bottom box:

So, ran to the factory and the box and the bogie unscrewed. Measures taken and briefly considered an idea, ready thought, briefly in the material warehouse the idea on implementation checked and go went it.
The reinforcement plate in the center has a height of 14mm. The sheet was freed from its color and cut two 15x15mm four-piece tubes, measured and fixed:

A few smaller welds later:

Since now simply a flatiron over it, was too easy and unstable. I chose a strong angle. Tailored, drilled, notched, welded and primed:

Painted with black paint and under the new seat:

Fits and works well in the Winni:

Soon the other seat will be added.

Thomas
Understeer is when you see the tree, if you'll take. Oversteer is when you only hear him on impact.

LJ-TJ

D:oH! Man your amazing. That looks fantastic.

Schmitti

Thank you, but this is also my job ;) . I am a metal worker and therefore it is nothing special for me :-[

Thomas

Schmitti

The rear axle is successfully overhauled and the second set is also moved into the Winni:

Thomas

Rickf1985

Did you find bad bearings in the rear or just the axles? Seats look fantastic.

LJ-TJ

Schmitti

No, no camps were broken and apparently only worn. We have looked at all the components meticulously, the axis and the diff cleaned thoroughly before we put everything together again.

Thomas

Froggy1936

Hmmm Is the noise gone ?  Was the lube watered down  ?    Wear pattern on ring & Pinion look normal ? Was backlash excessive ? Odd not to be able to see problem !  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

Rickf1985

And did you check the center support bearings on the drive shaft? The ones between the different sections of the shaft that are bolted up to the frame. They give a vibration when they go bad and the fact that turning made no difference and you did not find anything bad makes me think of other things that could cause the problem.

Schmitti

We had split the complete axle and "vacated". Only the Diff remained in his place. The bearings were discolored and the oil was not very handsome. The smell was also bad. So I think the oil was out of date and the camps had begun to dissolve. This had not yet happened and we had noticed it in time. During a subsequent test drive, all the noises were gone - that is, our work and the control of all parts could not have been wrong.

Thomas

Froggy1936

Excellent   The final result is what is important, Good Job Well Done   Frank

Rickf1985

:)ThmbUp :)ThmbUp :)ThmbUp :)ThmbUp   You cannot possibly have many parts left that you have not replaced or rebuilt!

Schmitti

Latest and last impressions of Winnebago:

Joup, the attentive reader, has discovered in the picture an export code (number Plates). Rightly. The theme of Winnebago Chieftain ends here. It has given me immense pleasure to restore this vehicle and bring it back on the road. The pictures and the construction report has however hit the web powerful waves and became conspicuous. A very nice Dänish man wanted to have the Winni. I had not advertised the Winni, I did not want to lose him, I did not have to sell him ... but I could and did it. Why? - does not belong to the network

So here in the thread it does not go any further. I would however gladly remain with you in the forum (if I may) and the helpers give the help, which I can offer. Also I will again a US RV increase but I have still no idea which or by which manufacturer. I have to see what the German market offers me.

Thomas

LJ-TJ

Hey Schmitti it's been a blast. Thanks for taking us along for the ride. Stay in touch and let us know how you make out.

Schmitti

Thank you for your words. :) :)ThmbUp
I like to let you know what I am buying next - but it looks like it will be a 2001 Four Winds with Workhorse Chassis and V8. Is that old enough for the forum?  :-[ i?? Especially since it is not Winnebago or Itasca.  ??? :-[

Still the purchase is not made, because I still need a certificate from Workhorse, where it is, what the vehicle for a trailer (weight) can pull.

Thomas

TerryH

Thomas, this has been a hell of an interesting topic. Lots here have followed your work throughout. Your purchaser got a very nice unit. Please keep us advised of your new RV when you buy one. Your adventures will continue.
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

Rickf1985

I CAN'T believe you sold it!!! After all of that work there is no way you could have gotten half of what you had into it. I am thinking you figured get out while the getting was good? I think I can speak for everyone here and say you have earned a place on this forum regardless of what brand or year you buy. A 2001 is 16 years old, in most states in the USA a car that is 15 years old is a Classic (or used to be anyway). Stick around.

Rick

Froggy1936

I think you are just like me when all the repairs were done the fun was over I was ready to sell also But then I found out i can no longer do the necc work on another one . So we are stuck with ea other till i die or hit the lottery  Ha Ha  :)rotflmao :)rotflmao :)rotflmao  Frank

Schmitti

O wow, what an encouragement and praise :-[ ... I have only breathed life into a characterful Winnebago
I thank you all heartily, what nice words you have for me. But I had by no means lost the pleasure of Winni or was finished with my work. I had different ideas in my mind that I would have liked to do. I would also like to spend more time with the Winnebago together on vacation but it lured the money quite simply.
If the forum boss allowed it, I will then very gladly start with a new MoHo a new thread. However, I have to buy it first. This is unfortunately delayed because I have not received a response from Workhorse.

Thomas

Rickf1985

From what I have seen in other forums Workhorse can be a difficult outfit to deal with.

Schmitti

The GFK skin of the construction is just not without. But I should be able to handle this, too, if there are bumps. The chassis is beautiful thick steel - the least problem ;)
Problem is here in Germany rather that there is no pulling device for the trailer in the vehicle papers. To change this in the papers, you need original papers with the train loads from the manufacturer. Without it, I do not buy the FourWinds.

Thomas

Rickf1985

Understood, You may not be able to get that from Workhorse if the coach manufacturer added to the frame length. That is pretty common on the newer coaches and Workhorse is not going to take on any liability due to someone else's workmanship. You might have to get that information from whomever the coach manufacturer is. Will your people accept that?

Schmitti

That's exactly how Rick is :)ThmbUp  Either from the manufacturer of the body or from the frame manufacturer. The company, which has welded the transverse beam with the four-hole hole, has to be certified in Germany and equipped with the VIN, can prove what a trailer is allowed to pull with it.
Also prospectuses with the information would be helpful and can lead to the goal via detours.

Workhorse has already received an email from me since Friday, with a request ... unfortunately no answer yet i??  Absolutely none :'(

Thomas

tiinytina

I was I think the first "Rogue" member with the Tiffin, I had joined because my purchase was to be a 1987 Chieftan but the deal fell apart when the inspection failed epically and the owner would not reduce price to compensate....  and that was 10 yrs ago now....   so yes Stick around!!!
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!