Schmitti's '76 Winnebago

Started by Schmitti, July 18, 2014, 08:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schmitti

Thank joev, just as I thought that me :)ThmbUp .

Despite my cold and the almost lack of voice, was now was the destination: In the workshop, to Winni. There I got to see the extent of damage.
Head gasket:

Cylinder head:

The place 4th - 6th cylinder a little closer:

And the block to:

But there are positives to report. Today I was at the customs and have triggered my duck that I ordered in the United States three weeks ago. This will probably have their home at Winni in the future:

Thomas
Understeer is when you see the tree, if you'll take. Oversteer is when you only hear him on impact.

Rickf1985

Yes, that is a pretty severely blown head gasket but the head is repairable. They could weld the low spot and machine it to match the rest of the head surface. It would not be cheap and it depends on the price and availability of a new head as to whether it is worth doing that. Is the block grooved also? If it is the that will have to be welded also. That gasket was blown for a long time. Once repaired you will be quite surprised at the extra power those two more cylinders will give you.

Schmitti

There was no time to more closely examine the flat surfaces. Whether it pays off, must still rausstellen and with new parts available prices are provided opposite.

That after the repair even more power is there - I am looking forward. However, I know now where my 6mpg came from. Because what will change for the better surely.

Thomas
Understeer is when you see the tree, if you'll take. Oversteer is when you only hear him on impact.

Rickf1985

Um.......................... About that 6 MPG................................... yea................... well....................er.............. OK.

I would like to say it will improve but that is generally the average with these. Remember that along with no compression you had little vacuum either so you were not pulling gas into those cylinders at a normal rate. once you get all 8 cylinders going you will be burning gas in all 8 instead of 6.

Schmitti

Just as is also my way of thinking  ;) ... everything will be fine again :)ThmbUp

Thomas

Schmitti

News from the motor workshop are now received by telephone. On breathing is announced. The engine block is still OK, and the heads still retrievable. The heads are scheduled to 8/10 and get a correspondingly thicker head gasket to compensate the measure again. By the way, all valves are re-sanded as they have not closed cleanly.
I'm looking forward to the test drive  :)ThmbUp :)

But there are also negative. The fine had authority in Kassel no understanding for our mishap and the corresponding parking solution for our part in the car park. This "history" is now punished with â,¬ 103.50  $@!#@!

Thomas

LJ-TJ

D:oH! Good thing you got bad luck because if you didn't you wouldn't have any luck at all or so it seems. Love the duck. :)rotflmao

Schmitti

I love the duck well and she is (even if it looks ugly for others) on the nose by Winni.

Thomas

Rickf1985

Keep in mind that thicker head gaskets are going to lower your compression ratio so you will lose a little power. You may be able to make some of that back by advancing the timing since it will not preignite as easily with lower compression. The amount will be pretty small. I hope they are welding up that gouge first and not just depending on a thicker gasket! The thicker gasket alone will not hold.

Schmitti

No, the thick seal alone does not work, of course :)ThmbUp . The head is planned / smoothed until it is straight again. Thus it is 8/10 smaller and exactly for this there is a thicker gasket to compensate. As a result, the compression does not lower and remains.

Thomas

Rickf1985

Understood, that is exactly how it should be done. You are in good hands I see. Sorry to hear about the fine, as was said, if not were not for bad luck you would have no luck at all.

Schmitti

@ Rick:
I live, am fundamentally sound ... which is lucky for me - everything else can be set up or repair themselves  ;)

Again I have the statues out together, to moving images  W%

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSMnkvfunD8

Thomas

Schmitti

There new from the workshop  ;) .

Positives:
The heads are planned, the valves are just ingrained new, the new and special cylinder head gasket is also arrived :) :) .

Clear, must also still something negative arise:
The manifolds have also been planned - the "unproblematic" on the driver's side must now have a crack course D:oH! .

Thomas

Schmitti

Last New's from the workshop. The heads are planned, the valves are all newly inserted and the problematic pipe is welded. The assembly is to be addressed in this month. Domes The further expansion as roof parts and other odds and ends accumulate slowly and want to be accordingly "processed". A pleasant envelope I received thanks to a postal strike in Germany today. Tina gave me made in original size and writing, new designer labels. Of course, the colors were slightly adapted to the current color scheme.

Thomas

Schmitti

A shaky short video reveals how to do it the Winni currently. The first notes ;) :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSsH7l7GPpY

Now the engine is still set and the transmission cut by the crankshaft to renew seal.

Thomas

JessEm

Hello Schmitti, It took me a while to get caught up on your progress with 12 pages and all I can say is WOW. You are doing an outstanding job on your Winnebago. These are classic machines and I love to see them given a new lease on life. I'm curious to see your duck installed! Keep up the good work!  :)clap

Schmitti

Thanks Jess - I will continue to work hard, because I'm not done yet ;) W%

Thomas

Schmitti

Yesterday I was able to test the glory of the engine on a test drive. It runs perfectly and attracts great :)clap :)clap :)clap
Now still comes out the transmission, since us the seal of the crankshaft was sent incorrectly $@!#@! . Also, the system is again leaking Hydroboost  :'( $@!#@! - because I'm going to install a new :)

Thomas

NottooldNottoyoung

You Sir are a true inspiration. Amazing work and great team work. Thank you for sharing....

Schmitti

Ups, "Sir" sounds like "blue blood" as the nobility or the Queen in England :-[ - I'm just a simple home mechanic with a dream ;) :)
Nevertheless, thanks for your praise and I promise you, it will go soon back on :)ThmbUp . In September, the holidays are over and it comes at Winni further :) :)

Thomas

Schmitti

Such a crap $@!#@! . For 6 weeks, I hang out with the crankshaft to the gearbox seal. Now the fourth seal has been delivered wrong $@!#@! i??

Thomas

ClydesdaleKevin

Sorry they sent you the wrong part.  Great topic and thread though!  You'll get it all done!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Schmitti

Thank you for your positive encouragement :)ThmbUp
Everything will be fine - my speech :) . Only I'm going with the Winni this year probably can not be as planned the move :-[ :'(

Thomas

Schmitti

He's back from the workshop :)clap ... back in his home  :) - at least for a short time before it goes back into the domestic workshop to complete the Winni W% ;) .

Today was the long-awaited collection date from the little ones. Now everything is tight and the engine is running knotless. Now he has almost power in abundance and much less thirst :)ThmbUp
The 80KM (about 50mls) overpass were quite pleasant. The sound of the V8 is such a comforting sound, that it is actually too relaxing on the sofa driver's seat :-[ W%

First order of business was first time to clean up the tool compartment and fill with the now purchased tool.

Thomas

legomybago

Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy