Schmitti's '76 Winnebago

Started by Schmitti, July 18, 2014, 08:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schmitti

Under the dash there is slow order. All unnecessary cables have been removed.
Before:
(We are sorry, but the image can not be uploaded)

After:

May look at first glance, not much better - but you can see it looked more closely.

The wall covering and the interior is now ready to finish. Both chairs are then fully reinstated and the seat can be summarily convert to a king-size bed.
Left Couch:

Both sides, with the view of the now bright bathroom:

Converts to bed:

Thomas
Understeer is when you see the tree, if you'll take. Oversteer is when you only hear him on impact.

Schmitti

Understeer is when you see the tree, if you'll take. Oversteer is when you only hear him on impact.

joev

Schmitti

Thank you joev   :)

Welcome to the new year, dear reader.

The last effort in the last year, I'm still owe you.
Since new roof hatches are fitted, the Dachau sections for the roof hatches from the US weight were changed to German level.
Original:

New:

At the same time, my girlfriend made a rough interior cleaning:

Thomas

Schmitti

Now the renovations begin on the roof. For this I have found the safe side supports under the roof openings:

Then the inner side have four-screws can be removed (to find a suitable bit of this is in Germany not been easy):

The color that contained therein additionally makes it any easier  $@!#@!

Then begins the real, miserable work. Sealant without end, the fights tenaciously:

The wooden wedges, it is the gentlest for the thin aluminum on the roof.

Viscous sealant without end:

Little by little it going:

Bar to bar .... and everything must be from:

Thomas

LJ-TJ

Ain't this a fine mess you got us into Ollie.

Schmitti

Excuse me - my english just leave me  $@!#@! .... how do you mean with Olli?

Thomas

Rickf1985

LJ-TJ

I was watching you curl up you trim which is hard to come by. One of our expressions is " Seemed like a good idea at the time."
One guy in a comedy team use to get his partner in trouble all the time and the one guy would say to the other guy " Ain't this a fine mess you got us into Ollie"

Schmitti

Ah, OK, now I understand it  :) :)ThmbUp
It is the old famous saying of "Dick & Doof" (German Film Title of Stan & Olli is loosely translated "Fat and Stupid")  :D

Thomas

LJ-TJ

:)rotflmao Well I don't know if I'd go that far :laugh: But keep up the good work. I'm really enjoying this thread. It's been said many times your doing a fantastic job.

cosmic

Ive been gone for a while. Wow Thomas great work. :)ThmbUp :)ThmbUp.
You are doing a job that most of us never could imagine.
love the floors and the new seating area.  Its coming along real nice.. wont be long now.. :laugh: :laugh:
Vic.

Schmitti

I thank you for your praise and I am glad that you like my work.
I've never been a guy who makes "half done" - either I do this in my eyes right - or I'll have it.

Thomas

Schmitti

With a makeshift scaffolding to working height, it is easier to work:

Hard work require hard means. With a soldering flame and two wooden wedges the bars go quite well and expeditiously from:

The first tentative insights:

... Does not really tingly and does not bode good  $@!#@!

Accordingly, the aluminum sheet must down to inspect the full damage. But I have solved the aluminum plate on the surface and could prefer something:

Revealed roof:

Integrated wiring harness:

Since I can not lift the sheet safely down alone, I have supported with a few plates. Thus, at least the air circulate a little and do their work during drying and airing:

Thomas

Schmitti

After the first shock and an evening of reflection, was the solution to the problem "how to continue with the roof" pretty close.
First, the aluminum sheet was flying times from the roof:

After that, it was a bit lighter:

This makes it easy to dispose of.

Thereafter, the entire roof was freed from the loose fiber boards and roughly cleaned:

Even the loose insulation boards went directly the same way, the cable is exposed and the rotten wood removed:

The whole is now dry only once in peace. Meanwhile, my thought up roof concept is converted into a list of materials and accordingly triggered an order.

Thomas

Froggy1936

Thomas at this point , Check all the wiring, Replace any that are needed, And install any that you have future plan for additions , Speakers, lights, etc . If it were me since you have progressedthis far i would make the roof with a slight dome shape and use 1 piece rubber for the roof .  There are posts of both procedures at this site . Nice Work Frank  :)ThmbUp
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

Schmitti

Thank you Frank  :)ThmbUp
That was exactly my thought when I saw the wiring harness. This is now completely revised and supplemented. While this is an unplanned measure my "schedule" rejects - but I will get there because never again. So: "Now or Never"  The dome shape I will not be able to implement and my plan was from the beginning, about to pull a complete roof made of rubber. The aluminum was me already too stubborn and patched. This had to also facilitates the decision to reject the aluminum completely and dispose of.

Thomas

Froggy1936

An effective dome shape of only 1 or 2 in would eleviate any standing water. The only complication is mounting A/C unit . Bending the plywood that slight amt is not a big problem over a 8 ft span ! Cutting the cross pieces may cause some difficulty with out a band saw though ! The interior panel would still be flat Frank

Schmitti

To build a dome as a roof is not difficult in itself. However, I do not really want it. Not only because the A / C unit and roof hatches - the problem I see it as solved. On Winni is everything straight and edged (like cut with a guillotine) ... that I want to keep. Firestone EPDM roofing foil can handle it.
If the Winni is parked in the future, it will be prophylactically placed on pins in order to remain the no large amounts of water on it. Right now he only has to stand while camping. I see now not a major problem.

Nevertheless, Thanks for the great and good tip

Thomas

Schmitti

The beginning of the end ... of 40years old roof has begun. The lateral border is so rotten wood and confident that a partial reconstruction is not worth there.
Therefore, down and away with it:

Putrefaction and wetness is easy to see  $@!#@! :

Very quickly it looked on the floor then accordingly from:

Part of the new roof can already be seen - the black Firestone EPDM liner is and the bucket with the adhesive is clean and protected under the car  :)ThmbUp :)

Thomas

Schmitti

The complete "cable salad" on the roof has now been checked and if necessary. repaired. Now go back all the interior lights and switches, as well as the front and rear roof lights. Purely prophylactic some cable (12V + 230V) as a replacement yet to be introduced ;) .

I am also surprised it being evil, for example the a cable from 8m, 4x changes color - in America there are no cables from the roll or be the only 1.5m long fabricated? D:oH! W%
<- Joke

As the roof is dried at the same time, the reconstruction can begin :)ThmbUp

Thomas

Froggy1936

He , Sounds like someone was useing up scraps of leftover wireing when they built it . It is not a big problem when installing wireing , But can be a major headache when repairing later and you cannot see the beginning and the end at the same time   Good Luck Frank

Lefty

You are doing very well. It is frightening to see the wood damage, and remember that you walked on it at one time.
Does your country have "Marine Plywood" available? It is a special plywood that is treated to be waterproof and highly rot resistant. It is more expensive, but excellent for roofing. If you ever develop a leak in the future, it will not warp, delaminate, or rot like regular plywood. It is WELL WORTH the added expense!

Like here:
http://www.menards.com/main/building-materials/panel-products/specialty-panels/specialty-sanded/1-2-x-4-x-8-marine-grade-plywood/p-1485662-c-13336.htm

$44.49 per sheet (U.S. $) (39.70 Euros)  1.2192 meter X 2.4384 meter X 12.7 mm  (4 ft X 8 ft X 1/2") 

Be sure to apply tape to all joints on the roof before installing the EPDM Liner. This cushions and protects the liner from rips and tears.

I actually use this:
http://www.menards.com/main/flooring/laminate-flooring/laminate-installation-maintenance/healthier-choice-sound-solution-vapor-bloc-laminate-underlayment-pad-1-8/p-1394525-c-6607.htm
Over the plywood, before I install the rubber roof. It adds extra protection for moisture/vapor control, and pads/protects the rubber roof liner. Glue it to the plywood with spray adhesive before applying the rubber roof.
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

Schmitti

@ Frank:
Yes, it looks as if several residues were on the roof has been processed. The worst thing in the patched stuff is actually the switch wire colors and as a purple cord begins, red and green will be completed  $@!#@! i??

Lefty:
I do not completely cover with wooden roof. Your tip is great but he goes in a different direction than what I thought up. I cut 45mm wide slats from a 24mm thick glued laminated timber.

https://www.casando.de/holzbauundbaustoffe-plattenwerkstoffe-leimholzplatten-seite-2/
(Just as a sample / example and unfortunately in German)

From this, a framework is laid out on the roof with 24mm PVC foam covered plates before the EPDM sealing membrane comes on to the roof.

http://www.platten-bu.de/PVC-Hartschaum/PVC-Hartschaum-weiss/4-mm/PVC-Hartschaum-weiss-1560-x-3050-x-4-mm::169.html
(Just as a sample / example and unfortunately in German)

I find this forum really great. You get great tips and help, just observe how do other projects and look up some suggestions.

Thomas

Schmitti

Today I have manged to pick up the new "rafters". Now it also explains why I chose the material. On a bar of 24mm thickness I can make it myself (80Kg) centrally, without which it breaks  ;) :)

Thomas