Schmitti's '76 Winnebago

Started by Schmitti, July 18, 2014, 08:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveVA78Chieftain

GM was the parent company for Chevrolet, Buick, Cadillac, Pontiac, Delco etc.
Ford is the parent company for Ford and Mercury
Chrysler is the parent company for Chrysler, Dodge, Mopar, and Plymouth (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler)

Dave
[move][/move]

eXodus

Hello Thomas und Willkommen  :D 

nice blog you got there. Very interesting, if you need help with technical translation (uebersetzungen) send me an PM.

Good luck with you winnie.

If you get enough stuff together, palettes from the US are only around $200. Even packages are not to bad, If you are willing to wait for a combined transport (Sammeltransport 6-8 weeks)

Gruesse from eX-Munich

Sebastian

Schmitti

@ DaveVA78:
The "family relationships" the company was known to me, not only here in the forum. Nevertheless, thanks for the list.

eXodus:
So far I could organize everything here in Germany, as far as parts. What could happen in the future, would engine parts (headers, intake manifold and carburetor) - I'm happy to make you.
Greetings from Germany:-)

The "sieve" alias radiator is out and will be transported to a cooler construction company.

Thomas
Understeer is when you see the tree, if you'll take. Oversteer is when you only hear him on impact.

Schmitti

Again, several small steps further. For the gas cylinders I have the space and time provided incl. Renewed the fortifications and the lines

Because now is still purely an additional bulkhead to accommodate a generator.

However, my main focus is currently on the brake system.
The master cylinder is apparently broken a seal. Here knows someone happen to know if there is a seal can be replaced "only" - and if so, where can I get them

and the brake lever (especially the great spring) seems to me not just to be series. Does anyone happen to have a photo for me, how did this look right?

Among the various layers of paint (maroon) and spatula came this rätzelhafte plate to light. It is located behind the right, just above the bumper - does anyone know what times since it was? Is it something important?

Thanks for your further help already in advance
Thomas from Germany
Understeer is when you see the tree, if you'll take. Oversteer is when you only hear him on impact.

eXodus

No idea for the brakes, but the sticker plate was some time ago the Vehicle Identification Tag.

There had been useful information like weight and tow rating on there. Probably don't need in Germany, have you got the Serial Number of your Motorhome ? you could send a email to Winnebago costumer support and they will tell you all what was on this plate.

Schmitti

Ahh, cool to know that times. For Germany rather unnecessary but very interresting for me. Thanks for the note  :) 

Here in Germany the authorities tend to go on the VIN plate (left side of the driver's seat), the number in the engine compartment and chassis number (which must be taken in the right wheel arch on the frame). All other stickers are there quite uninteresting  D:oH! :laugh:

Thomas

Schmitti

I think the turn is now imminent. It should now all be advanced so that the completion and reconstruction in the interior and the technology can begin.
As a final work for the expansion we have now removed the 40years old carpet and the reluctant backing out scratched with spatula.

... The black is the way the back!

Then finally looked like this:

Since the master brake cylinder had leaks, even this is now being expanded and may be outdated:

The carburettor has migrated to the local workbench to time to learn a revision and cleaning:

I asked a few posts before after the indicating instrument, "AT & T" ... for that I must apologize. The pointer of the instrument is directly on the label. Would be correct: "ALT" ... which indicates to me this clock?

JessEm

Maybe "ALT" means alternator... if it's on the instrument panel, it probably indicates how well your alternator is generating power.

I looks like you're making good progress. ... I would remove those seat mounts while you're working around there... It will be easier to install carpet also.

Schmitti

Aaaah, thank you for pointing out what the clock is there  :)ThmbUp .

Yes, the seat attachment and the straps are still disassembled to remove the rest and to lay the new carpet. However, I was alone and could not also work in the interior and in the wheel to release the screws  ;) D:oH! :D .

Thomas

Schmitti

Today I am once made ​​ran and built a bulkhead, because in addition to the gas bottles a generator is to be installed.

Backbone of aluminum angle:

Adapted and tailored a suitable aluminum sheet

The two gas bottles still fit inside

And sealed gas-tight (our dear TÃœV) it is even and beautiful

Thomas

Schmitti

Wow, today was the first of all bad and at the same time expensive message, since the project began. The reconditioning of the radiators - through a new network for the water and the oil will cost me â,¬ 1500  $@!#@! 
Currently these are the equivalent of about 1940.40 U.S. Dollar  $@!#@!

Thomas

Schmitti

Again, several small steps progressed.
I have the seats can be equipped with functional again - the folding / swivel function is given again and can now be found in any position

While I was busy with the seat mechanism, removed my girlfriend the complete silicone on the roof

So it looked finished:

When I was done with the seats, I lifted the rear axle and unscrewed the Zwilingsreifen.
Gruesome sight ... so I dared the crossing. The hardened, black things are certainly still the original tires of the 1976th

The flanks are no less daunting:

Open views over the axle and work space.

Thomas from Germany

Mytdawg

That shop is larger than my entire property.  I have to move 2 cars into the street to turn mine around...    :)rotflmao

Schmitti

Well, this shop is unfortunately not me. I am there also a guest of a very good friend, because mine is also too small. Although I get 4-5 cars inside ... but European cars  ;) :D

Thomas

Schmitti

The first parts to come back already. Accordingly, so slowly dismantled the assembly I have enough starts, because.
The radiator is completely remade and has found its bursts in the front engine compartment. So I could also complete again and finish the engine compartment. As a splash container was missing, I took one from the Opel Kadett E (known in the USA as the Pontiac LeMans https://www.flickr.com/photos/coconv/5917551906/  ). Of this I have enough parts in stock and he gave a few easy steps.

Thomas

serenitygirl64

Welcome and look forward to seeing your project and it's completion.   Good luck and Looking good  :)clap

Schmitti

Many thanks. However, I still see no early conclusion. Even though I have the goal to have at least a street legal end of the year - there is still much to do and my time to do something is in short supply.

Thomas

acenjason

I like how your propane bottle compartment turned out. Very well designed and built.  :) I was wondering why you didn't use the propane area that was already built into the Winnebago?

Schmitti

Is easy  ;) . Firstly, the system was no longer present and the other is the American system is unfortunately not allowed here in Germany  $@!#@!

Thomas

acenjason

Well, the new area looks great:)

Schmitti

From the absence of other replacement parts, the reconstruction of the kitchen went off.
So it looked times from:

The unused, portable gas stove construction did not like me. Therefore, a new worktop was fitted and rearranged the kitchen.

The connections must now be made ​​and then you can set up the doors.

I call that a gas stove:

Also on the floor it started. With 40 grit and one eccentric sander we went to the dirt on the collar, not polished off times, but was sanded down.

The picture is not blurred ... is the flying dust

So you can see the difference better:

With a clear coating then something comes to the fore:

Is just still wet:

Thomas

pvoth1111

We call our coach "Charlie Brown"

TripleJ

Very interesting way to do the floor. Nice job!

I also like your propane set up. I would actually prefer it to the large mystery tank that is underneath my unit.
'85 Holiday Rambler Presidential '28

acenjason

Schmitti

Thank you for the many praise  :)ThmbUp .
I decided consciously against a carpet or similar flooring. For one, I like wood in its appearance and on the other it is easier to keep clean. Also, the extra weight is a criterion. I myself am curious to see how the floor then looks final. The pictures show him yes it is still wet. Also it must be (work at the end of all interior) once sanded and repainted at a later date. I hope he lightens up a bit  W% .
The gas stove had done it to my friend as well - so I buy it  ;)

Thomas