Best places to put Carbon Monoxide (CO)/Propane (LP) detectors?

Started by xerofall, June 24, 2014, 08:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xerofall

Where is the ideal placement for the LP/CO combo detector? Well, let me be a bit clearer... rear of the RV, front? Center area?

Stripe

Depends on how many you decide to get, I have two. One amidships and one in the aft sleeping quarters..
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

TerryH

It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

Froggy1936

I installed mine at the base of the counter where the furnace is located, That is just across the aisle from the stove And right above the location of the storage tank . Frank :)clap
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

Lefty

CO and Propane detectors should always be installed near the floor, as CO and propane are both heavier than air and sink to the lowest point. Ideally, you want it within 3ft of potential CO emission sources or where potential propane leaks could occur (fridge, stove/oven, water heater, or furnace are all potential sources). Realistically, a location situated near the center of the rig, that gets unobstructed airflow, and is accessible for periodic testing would be fine. We have one mounted on the side of the dinette booth, about 2" off the floor, which is directly across from the kitchen (fridge/stove/oven),and about 5' from the furnace and water heater.
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

xerofall

I think I'll put it on the rear dinette or on the door under the oven. Thanks for the advice.

TerryH

Consideration should be given to fan operated heat/air flow vents in close proximity to your detector location. You want the detector to read the ambient air at a low level in the coach - not air that has been fan forced to or from elsewhere or directed towards or away from the detector.

Good test to ensure the detector is working is a BBQ lighter or a Bic lighter. Place it close to the detector sensor and open the fuel - do NOT light. Your detector will read the lighter fuel and sound off. They read butane as well as propane.
T
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

Elandan2

I have to chime in here about the carbon monoxide detectors.  CO gas is lighter than air, so the detector should be placed higher up than the propane detector.  Here is an informative article on the subject.   http://www.carbonmonoxidedetectorplacement.com/ 
Rick
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

ClydesdaleKevin

I'm with Rick on this one.  LP down low, CO up high.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

xerofall

So it's probably not a good idea to buy the combo version. Buy two separate units?

circleD

Yes get 2 different detectors. Having a universal monitor for a light and heavy gas isn't practical. But if you run the propane a lot or run the genny a lot then that'll help narrow down your preferred detection area.

xerofall

I do not have a generator anymore, so I decided to get the duel version mostly for the propane. At first I was looking at a nearly $90 unit at the local trailer supply store, but on a hunch I decided to look on eBay for the same unit and found it almost half the price with free shipping...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121462612293?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I hope that link helps anyone still looking. I got mine within a few days.

Rickf1985

Thanks, I just ordered one since mine is the original and I am sure it is bad. Might even get another for my slide in. :)ThmbUp :)ThmbUp :)ThmbUp

1990HR

A propane/CO detector makes absolutely no sense.
Propane is heavier than air so it settles to the floor and CO is lighter than air and rises to the ceiling.
Here is a link for locations of all types of detectors. http://www.critical-environment.com/technicallibrary/sensor-mounting.html

Rickf1985

While that is true in theory I think with a space as small as an RV interior with convection air movements you will get an alert in plenty of time. I put a CO detector up high in my slide in and it went off as soon as I turned on the stove every time regardless of the fact I had the window cracked open next to the stove and the stove vent running.

eXodus

I've got a Propane detector right under my stove and a CO detector low mounted near by. (The Generator is right underneath)

Also I got a normal smoke detector high mounted in the bedroom and a CO detector at eye level (states the manual) also in this room. 

When I turn up the stove and don't light the flame the Propane detector starts ringing after a couple of minutes and when I cook bacon and don't open the window and run the hood fan my Fire detector starts screaming.
A good CO detector is under $20 shipped home from Amazon.

Froggy1936

I have to remove (just a twist off) both of my smoke detectors even if im only makeing toast , That will set them off  b Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.