Wiring Windshield Wiper Switch?

Started by Alaskan Itasca, June 23, 2014, 05:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alaskan Itasca

I know this is an old thread, but I just got a new windshield wiper switch. I didn't know I could still buy them new....anyway it is a 3 terminal switch and I can only find two wires. There must be anther wire to run the wipers on low since the one I have only runs it on high. I may not even have the right wire at all.....I have't yet figured out how the wiper motor is wired up and am trying to avoid dismantling the dash biard so I can see the wiper motor and find the wires coming off of it....

Anyone know how these things work?
1978 Itasca 27RT - RIP
1992 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 30E

Stripe

I have TWO switches, one per wiper, One has three wires, t'other only two. So that may be the same with yours? i??

Anyhow I hope that points ya in a direction..
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

HandyDan

If I push in on my switch the windshield washer squirts.  Maybe that is the third wire.
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

Stripe

WOW, THANK YOU! I never thought of that!!!!! D:oH!    Really, I didn't, :-[ that is going to help with mine now! Dan Your the Man!
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

Alaskan Itasca

Mine has a switch with 3 terminals.  Left is low,  center is off, right is high.  I have a separate 2 terminal switch for wiper fluid. There are 2 gray wires on a y one goes to the wipers the other to the fluid switch. If I hook up both gray wires to the wiper switch they both run the wipers on high. I figure there has to be a separate low wire somewhere....

I have no idea how this works the original switches were broken when I got it.
1978 Itasca 27RT - RIP
1992 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 30E

johnfrederick

Good Morning. I have an 84 Chieftain remodel project. Currently trying to figure out wind shield switch. It is a 3 terminal rocker switch. Best I can figure power comes into the middle terminal and goes out low on one side and high on the other.
Problem is there is only one red wire that goes to a relay connected to the motor.

Does anyone know if the high low speed is controlled by relay or ???? :) :)

Does anyone have a drawing showing the right way to wire the switch or other info. Thanks, John  ;)

Rickf1985

It sounds to me like it was wired up for single speed use. A stock GM wiper motor will generally have three wire going into it, Hi, low and park where the park function is controlled by the switch. Some have three wires and the third wire instead of being the park wire is a hot wire and the controller is internal. Or it could be an aftermarket motor made for trucks and buses in which case you need the diagram for that unit.