Northern Ohio, 2014

Started by ClydesdaleKevin, June 23, 2014, 11:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClydesdaleKevin

I took Patti to Geneva on the Lake yesterday, and it was a fun time!  Lake Erie is HUGE!!!  Of course, Patti was worried the whole time about the pups.  Speaking of which, we are going to have Paladin's birthday party this afternoon, after I set up the booth at the faire.  He's a whole year old now!  And a 100 lbs already.  He's gonna be a moose!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

DonD

Happy birthday Paladin.

Kev, I see your vape gadget. Very glad U2 are off tobacco.

I quit totally on 03/17/02 after 40 years and here's my stats:  At '02 prices...Quit 4527 days, $31,689.00 saved.
Don and Mary
2000 TC1000 Bluebird bus conv.

Stripe

Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

ClydesdaleKevin

Thanks Don and Frederic!  Paladin had a great time, and birthday burgers were had by all.

I REALLY like vaping now.  The technology is finally there to where its way more enjoyable for me than smoking ever was.  I still get my nicotine, but no smoke and no carcinogens. 

I'm using a Russian 91% rebuildable tank atomizer now, and make my own coils and wicks.  Now I'm doing research into making my own e-liquids to save even MORE money.  Gotta love it!

This weekend at Faire was finally a good one!  One more weekend to go, then its off to Southern Ohio for 4 weekends, then back down to North Carolina.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

ClydesdaleKevin

Speaking of vaping devices, I won a free made in the USA drip atomizer on an online contest, and it arrived today.  Its the Tohb Atty, version 2.

So I built 2 perfect micro coils for the Tohb Atty.  28 gauge Kanthal, 17 wraps each around a 5/64th drill bit.  Came out to exactly 1.2 ohms, right where I calculated it would be.  Wicked it with unbleached organic cotton...and was using 0 nicotine Pomberry to test it.  HUGE clouds of vapor with the airflow wide open!  And the heat sink kept the metal drip tip from getting more than warm.  First time I ever vaped 0 nicotine, so at first I didn't "feel" any vapor, but the exhale filled the bedroom.  In fact, Patti made be leave the bedroom and go to the front so she could see the television...lol!  Yep...it puts out that much vapor.  Experiment number 2.  I added some 24mg Cherry Bomb flavor, and hackhackhack coughcough.  Wooweeee!  Just a couple of lung inhales and I was pretty light headed.  At 11 watts, it was maxing out my MVP battery before full lung inhale. 

So, some observations on Rebuildable Drip Atomizers: 

First, it sure does chuck out huge clouds of vapor...warm flavorful clouds. 

Second, RDAs need WAY more power than 11 watts.  At least, at 1 ohm or more builds (you can't sub-ohm on an MVP). 

Third, it was starting to make my MVP battery mod get really warm...which is bad juju.  This and the above leads me to the conclusion that if one were to want to use RDAs, one would need at least a 20 or even 30 watt regulated battery device.  (I am not a fan of unregulated mechanical mods...even knowing what I'm doing with electronics, they simply aren't safe, especially for the novice or the person who can't wrap their heads around ohms and amps and watts and volts and voltage drop and discharge rate, etc.).

Forth, its messy.  Even being careful, I had to use paper towels to keep the Atty, the battery, and my desk clean. 

Would I buy an RDA at this point (This one was free)?  No.  I have no interest in Cloud Chasing as they call it, although it was pretty neat.  Is the vape any better than my Russian 91% RTA? (Rebuildable Tank Atomizer).  It depends on what you mean by better...They both produce great flavor and a warm vape.  Airflow is of course higher than the RTA, but the Russian's airflow is pretty much just right for me.  The Russian produces a big cloud of dense warm vapor.  The Atty produces a much bigger cloud of vapor, but its not quite as warm or dense.  Flavor is about the same for either device. 

Here is where I think the Russian 91% is far superior:

Its not messy!  Once you fill it, you are good to go ALL DAY with no leaks.

It has a tank!  You fill it once, and it lasts me, a heavy vaper, all day.  I don't have to keep adding drops of liquid to the coils and wicking material every 5-10 vapes.

It doesn't heat up my battery.

The MVP battery lasts all day with the single coil Russian...the battery drains pretty quickly using the dual coil Tohb Atty as noted on its built-in battery meter.

Coils are WAY easier to build and wick on the Russian.

They both look cool, but the Russian looks cooler!

You can use the Russian at home or on the go...an RDA is more suited to sitting at your desk or at a vape lounge.  There is nothing convenient about an RDA, while an RTA is all about convenience.

And finally, I can stick with my affordable regulated and metered iTaste MVP batteries.  Good DNA30 battery mods START at 80 bucks, and go WAY up from there.  And I can get Dr. Who TARDIS skins for my MVPs!

So yeah, it was a fun experiment, and I'll hold on to it in my vape kit in case I someday get a Hana mod or clone or some other good DNA30 battery device on the cheap.  At which time I would revisit the experiment again using sub-ohm coils and higher wattage.  But for me, the Russian 91% is about as perfect as perfect gets...and I still have the satisfaction of making my own coils and wicks...and I don't need anywhere near the 11 watts my devices are capable of putting out.

Next up in logical progression?  I'm learning to make my own e-liquid, which I will be doing soon enough!  At an average cost of 6 bucks for a 10ml bottle of pre-made good quality e-juice made in the USA, I can make my own for around 10 CENTS per 10ml...and know exactly what's in it!

That's what I did on this rainy day...lol!

Kev

M & J

M & J

DaveVA78Chieftain

Yep, It is official now

He is a certified Vaporhead

http://vaporheads.net/
W%
[move][/move]

ClydesdaleKevin

LOL Dave!  Sure beats being a smoker and spending all that money on something that will inevitably kill you.  Yep!  I'm a vaporhead...lol! 

By the way, the Russian 91% (or any good tank system like the Aspire Nautilus, etc.) is also perfect for long drives in the RV.  No ash, you don't have to look for a lighter or hope the one in the dash works, no red hot cherries to fall in your lap, and no more smoke blown in your eyes from the dash fans.  Its a win win, any way you look at it.

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

What does LSMFT stand for?

Kev

LJ-TJ

Well you guys have herd it a million times. I smoked three large packs a day. It took me three try's to quite. I made it. It's been 11years now. NO I'm not a reformed smoker. I'll always be a smoker I just haven't had one in 11years. What did I learn? I learned if and when you quite your whole world will change. You'll do things you thought you'd never do again like play baseball, run, ride a bike, race your kid up and down stairs. Some make it.......some don't. Congratulation to those who make it and to those who haven't good luck and keep trying it's worth the effort.

moonlitcoyote

Great job on quitting Kev and Patti! I know I need to quit and would love to but I dont have the willpower to do it. I have tried e-cigs but so far I have not found one that tastes as good as my camels or makes me feel like I have actually got my nicotine fix. Keep up the good work.

HandyDan

1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

M & J

Handy Dan got it right. I figured you'd know that one Kev.

You were throwing vaping acronyms around so I tossed in an oldie from when cigs could be advertised. Not promoting, just having fun. :)

Congratulations so far.
M & J

ClydesdaleKevin

LOL!  The nice thing about vaping as opposed to smoking is that its vapor and doesn't damage your lungs or cause cancer and other cardiovascular diseases.  My wind and energy are back, and life is good!  And I still get my nicotine, just like I get my caffeine in my morning coffee.  SWEET!

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

So you can all laugh at just how much a geek I am...here are our vaping devices.  Mine is the Tardis on the left (an MVP battery mod) topped with the Russian 91%, and Patti's is the Tardis on the right, topped with the Nautilus tank.

Doctor Who is pretty awesome...lol!

Kev

pvoth1111

We call our coach "Charlie Brown"

Oz

If they are remanufactured... would they be called "retardis"?   ???
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

pvoth1111

as long as they are  not .......wait for it............retardi i??
We call our coach "Charlie Brown"

Stripe

Hm? N:(

Time And Relative Dimensions In Space can be refurbished Time and Time again..
Fredric,

Oz

You visited the Mobile Weed Wagon, didn't you? 

:angel:
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

DaveVA78Chieftain

Didn't you know?  His adorable puppy found it!    :laugh:
[move][/move]

ClydesdaleKevin

ROFLMFAO!!!  I absolutely love you guys!

Spent the day finishing off 6 trebuchets and 80 small catapults.  Closing weekend coming right up at the Great Lakes Medieval Faire, and then we are back on the road by Thursday on the way to the Ohio Renaissance Festival, about a 200 mile trip.

Vacation is over and its back to working for a living again...lol!

Kev

Stripe

Sweet!

Oh, Hempfest just started today here in WA.. WOOT!! 

(btw, no, I dun use)
Fredric,

ClydesdaleKevin

Great day at faire today!  One more to go, then perhaps another run of catapults, packdown, and off to the next faire in southern Ohio.  The pups sure are going to miss where we are at!  They love running free, and stay right near us...they know to never leave line of sight.  Paladin is doing so much better with strangers by leaps and bounds, which is a good thing, since he's HUGE!  Over a hundred pounds at just over a year old...geesh!  Karli is Karli...our sweet little ferocious fruitbat.  She is loving and gentle with every human and animal EXCEPT Paladin!  She is so mean to my little guy!

Kev

M & J

Yeah Stripe, post the pic of that dude you sent me. And why are you sending pics of guys anyway?!?!?!?!
M & J