Repainting the Winnie.

Started by chip2lane, June 15, 2014, 09:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chip2lane

We have had our coach for about 16 months and have overhauled/replaced all mechanical and interior system. Since all of that work has been completed we have put about 6 trips and about 3000 miles on her and everything works great. So the last project is to repaint her and make the outside look as good as the rest.
All that being said I am going to share pictures and information with everyone.  Any questions please ask and I will do my best to respond as quickly as possible.

chip2lane

chip2lane

After removing the stripes and some light sanding.

[smg id=6598]

moonlitcoyote

How long did all that sanding take you?

chip2lane

Between removing the stripes and sanding at that point I had about 18 hours into the work. I have a 80 gallon 2 stage 8 hp air compressor and pneumatic air da sander and a pinstripe eraser wheel tool. I have got a lot more done and will try and take another picture.

chip2lane

More sanding and bodywork done! starting to see a light at the end of the tunnel!

[smg id=6606]

Wbago

Looking good :D
ill be doing similar myself next year i think, so im gonna keep an eye on yours lol :D

chip2lane

Sorry I haven't posted anything lately,  got a new project bronco for a daily driver. Just finished getting it road worthy.  Ready to get on the winnie!

chip2lane

Finally got back on the Winnie!! Got all the body work done and got her in primer!
Here a pic and more picture and more are in my gallery.

[smg id=6754]

Wbago

Looking good dude :D . .. Paint gonna look real nice on there :D . .. .colour or white ??

eXodus

Looks like a lot of work. How much time do you spent sanding it ?

chip2lane

Wbago-- it is going to be Wimbledon White with some painted on graphics. have not figured out the final colors yet. Going to a friends shop and see what he has left from other projects.
eXodus-- so far I have about 80-90 hours in sanding and prep and repairs. hopefully this week after work will be final da sanding with 320 and another wash down.
That is the plan, but you know what they said about the best made plans!

DaveVA78Chieftain

Just remember, the sun loves to make that masking tape dry out and become a bear to remove.

Dave
[move][/move]

Schmitti

This is me before yet. Looks good and a lot of work from - I wanted my would already look like this ...  W%

Thomas
Understeer is when you see the tree, if you'll take. Oversteer is when you only hear him on impact.

chip2lane

Thanks for the advice on the tape, the coach stays inside a garage all the time. So I am hoping it will be ok.

CCTVED

Can't wait to see it finished

Oz

What body work was done and how did you do it?
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

chip2lane

The coach has been primed and sanded twice. Body work has been completed on compartment doors, plastic bumper end caps and fender trim.
The fiberglass end caps needed a little work. the body filler I used was Dura glass on mostly everything along with some epoxy in some areas.

eXodus

did you spray it ? Or just rolled the primer and paint on ?

I want to do mine next year, but we've got always wind here in Florida, so I am thinking about getting the big bucket and just rolling it with a matte or flat paint.

TripleJ

Did you remove the exposed caulk and sealer at the seams and trim?

Ive been wondering how this should be done... To paint over existing sealers or remove and reapply after the finish coat of paint? Hm?

It looks great BTW! Also super jealous of your garage...
'85 Holiday Rambler Presidential '28

LJ-TJ

Man your doing a sweet job. Looks fantastic.

chip2lane

All paint was sprayed with a 1.8 hvlp paint gun for the primer. And a 1.4 tip for the finish paint. I used a 2k epoxy primer. And a single stage acrylic top paint. The breeze in Florida where we are is good as well. We painted first thing in morning when the breeze was low.

chip2lane

All caulk and trim was removed. All access door were removed for cleaning and prep. I made sure all silicone was removed. After I get all done painting then I will reseal all windows,  doors and seams.

cosmic

Great work man.
will you be replacing the W ?

chip2lane

I dont think the "W" will being going back on.