Will TSP harm plants and grass?

Started by Rickf1985, June 13, 2014, 08:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rickf1985

I am going to be cleaning my roof in preparation for coating and I will be using TSP as the cleaner. What I want to know is will this kill the grass and plants in the runoff water?

M & J

Only thing I've found is its a hazard to aquatics.
M & J

tiinytina

high levels of phosphates TSP interfere with growth of some plants.. I've found that Simple Green works far better with a stiff brush than TSP.  ALSO more importantly.. have someone on the ground with a second hose, squirting down the sides so that the runoff from the roof doesn't strip paint and wax.  I've also found I park then jack up a corner so that the water tends to run off one corner vs everywhere.....
Tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

Rickf1985

Tina, Were you using the Simple Green straight? Not too worried about the paint or wax since I have none. i?? The sides will be getting cleaned also to get the mold out of the fine cracks in the fiberglass. Since I have a fair amount of delamination I may just paint the whole thing white.

tiinytina

yup I just have a gallon  on hand pour a puddle, scrub it in with a good stiff brush rinse etc... 
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

ClydesdaleKevin

Here is my take on TSP:

Tri Sodium Phosphate is just that, a cleaning solution/product that is non-detergent, relying on high levels of phosphates to clean with.  I USED to be an advocate of it, and even cleaned the roof of my first RV with it before recoating it.  Since then, and after a lot more research, TSP should NOT be used, EVER, if the waste water can drain into the environment.  It is extremely toxic to the environment, especially fish and other aquatics, and it doesn't take much to pollute a whole river or lake.  There is a reason that phosphates were eliminated from almost every soap or detergent you can now buy, including shampoo and body soaps.  An alternative I have used very successfully is mineral spirits and rags.  Takes the dirt and slime right off your roof, degreases it at the same time, and you don't have to rinse it before coating, since it evaporated immediately.

TSP=bad juju for fish and wildlife.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.