TH400 transmission Kickdown switch adjustment

Started by cncsparky, June 11, 2014, 10:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cncsparky

The kickdown switch mounted on my gas pedal was not working.  Found an adjustment procedure and it now makes much sooner (was not making at all).  Will re-install the switch and see if this works.   :)clap

http://forums.500cid.com/showpost.php?s=11f36db5de414ee4391437317796fdd8&p=13416&postcount=5
-Tom

Stripe

Tom where is this switch usually located on an RV, or at least on yours..?
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

cncsparky

Attached directly to the pedal assý.  Looks like they used a common GM kickdown switch, but have been unable to find a replacement at a local parts store.  Reproductions are available from auto restoration places on the web. Not sure if GM still has these available.  Can't find a part number.   
-Tom

Stripe

Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

cncsparky

Good work Fredric!  Looks like GM 1242101 is the original, no longer available from GM.  Haven't found a cross number yet. 
-Tom

DaveVA78Chieftain

[move][/move]

cncsparky

Wow, they want crazy money for those!  I took mine off to adjust, but didn't need to.  Push the slider assý of the switch as far down as it will go past its momentary stop as shown.  Then pump the gas pedal to its max.  After I did this, the switch is now making.  But, its not making very consistent according to my VOM(still making but the ohms reading is jumping around like a dirty connection).  Testing it out this weekend, may pull out the switch and clean it up according to the site I posted if it doesn't respond like it should. 
-Tom

cncsparky

Thinking if I had to replace one of these gold plated switches, I would at least try to fab up a switch bracket for the carb.  Lots of options, including some aftermarket kits available.  A nitrous switch would work to since it works at wide open throttle also.
-Tom

cncsparky

-Tom