choke light stays on even with key off

Started by jeno, June 11, 2014, 06:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeno

1989 cheiften 454 with carb choke light on dash stays on even with key off. if i unplug wire to choke on carb light goes off. any help would be greatly app. thanks jeno

Rickf1985

It sounds like the ignition is staying on. Do any of the other accessories that would normally only work with the key on now work with it off?

Wbago

i messaged you, few maybe's to try, but SOUNDS like the ignition switch is shorted out, leaving the connection live. .... mine was brass dust from the key barrel had worked itself through to the switch, making it connect badly, but similar would leave a connection  ....
jiggle the key in the barrel a bit and see if it goes off, or get a tester on the wiring from it to check .. .

jeno

that could be it. ill try that thanks

engineer bill

I recently had this complaint but then realized that I was turning the key past the "off" position into the "accy" position. Fooled me because you can pull the key out in either position. Hope this helps.
"on the road again, I just can't wait to get on the road again..."
thanks to Willie Nelson

Oz

Very good tip.  That's something one wouldn't normally think about or maybe even know.

:)ThmbUp
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Stripe

Agreed, I drained my poor battery once because of the very same thing..
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

Rickf1985

Leaving the key on accy would not, or should not, turn on the choke light. It should not energize any engine functions.

Stripe

Quote from: Rickf1985 on June 21, 2014, 08:54 AM
Leaving the key on accy would not, or should not, turn on the choke light. It should not energize any engine functions.

Never underestimate the idiotic things some Previous Owners can/WILL do with their wiring.. :D 

Just Sayin'
Fredric,

Wbago

just to be straight here, guys  ... .the left urn of the key to the ACC setting.. .it still uses the chassis battery for power, right?. .

Stripe

Fredric,

Wbago

engineer bill

Quote from: engineer bill on June 20, 2014, 08:01 PM
I recently had this complaint but then realized that I was turning the key past the "off" position into the "accy" position. Fooled me because you can pull the key out in either position. Hope this helps.

Would, could, should? Regardless, like I said,  on my Winne, if you turn the key all the way to the left, the choke light turns on (bulb check?), the HVAC fan will run (PO wiring problem?) and who knows what else is drawing power, so note to self: [Do Not Turn the Key All the Way Left and Remove it from the Lock] Also sounds like I'm not the only one. This means it could drain the battery dead. In my case it had me chasing a phantom problem with the Choke.

Another querk with Chevy, if you're not familiar with it, they wire the cig. lighter socket always hot so if you have a gps or radar detector etc. plugged in it will continue to draw power.
"on the road again, I just can't wait to get on the road again..."
thanks to Willie Nelson