Newbie to RVing

Started by xerofall, June 01, 2014, 06:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xerofall

Hello all,

My wife and I just bought a 1973 Winnebago Brave and are working on restoring it back to working order. I'll have a million questions I'm sure. I KNOW its a money pit, I do not need to be reminded. (or insulted as I have been on a few other forums I will not return too.) i??  Not welcoming at all in my opinion.

I'm hoping this will be a better fit because of the vintage nature of the overall forum.

Our mechanic worked at Dodge/Chrysler in the motorhome department for 14 years and has much skill. Our 73 has a 440 engine and the inside is spotless and virtually new. (clean) The only thing needed (for now) is a carb rebuild, new kingpins, a parking brake, wiper motor and the bigger battery.

We were able to save up a certain amount, and with our mechanic's honesty, he suggested what we should offer. It was somewhat reduced from what the seller wanted, but he ultimately agreed. We are now using the surplus to make the required repairs.

I have the original owners manual and a few other documents that I can scan for the forum, if you guys don't already have one. (I checked and I don't think you have the 1973 Brave manual. i?? )

I look forward to my time here and I hope you all have some patience with me as I learn. Thanks.

intofire1

Welcome,
When I joined this forum I never owned an RV (1973 brave with 440) or even been camping. I look back at some in my post and I laugh at myself, I have posted in the wrong location at times and the administrator fixed it for me. When you use the search to find topics you'll see why posting in the right place is so important. I have spent hours reading through the search it reads like a whodunit. I have always been treated with respect and the upmost courtesy. I can't tell you how much money and time this site is saved me over the years. Wish you all the luck and happy travels.
Gil in LA CA

joanfenn

Welcome to our site.  You should be able to get answers to most if not all of your question here.  Quite a few people here have already been there and done that and are more than willing to help out and answer any of your questions.  We love pictures so be prepared to post them.  Have fun and enjoy your new hobby.  You will be learning a lot.

DonD

Don and Mary
2000 TC1000 Bluebird bus conv.

DaveVA78Chieftain

Welcome to our little piece of the web.  Looks like you have a great start.  Believe it or not one the most frustrating things in your list of to-do's will be the wiper motor (access and parts).  Otherwise most of your other repairs are not that hard.  We have the 73 Chieftain manual but not the Brave.  If you scan it and convert to pdf then you can upload it here: http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php?action=mgallery;sa=album;id=471

Dave
[move][/move]

davecaprita

xerofall,

You and your wife are welcome here.  Enjoy the ride! 

xerofall

Quote from: joanfenn on June 01, 2014, 10:03 AM
  We love pictures so be prepared to post them.

That's nice to hear since I'm a very visual person. I love taking pictures... so be prepared to view them, haha...

I'll get more as I get into it and have more daylight, these were just cellphone pics.

Thanks for the welcome.

xerofall

Quote from: DaveVA78Chieftain on June 01, 2014, 10:23 AM
Welcome to our little piece of the web.  Looks like you have a great start.  Believe it or not one the most frustrating things in your list of to-do's will be the wiper motor (access and parts).  Otherwise most of your other repairs are not that hard.  We have the 73 Chieftain manual but not the Brave.  If you scan it and convert to pdf then you can upload it here: http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php?action=mgallery;sa=album;id=471

Dave

Yes, the wipers are a bummer... I tried to see how to access them, checking to see if it might be a loose connection or something, but couldn't see how to get into it. Our mechanic will know more.

The more I dig into the inside, the more I'm amazed at how well this thing was taken care of.

moonlitcoyote

Welcome and congrats on your rig... I love the "still cruisin... after all these years"

xerofall

I really appreciate the warm welcome. 

Here are some more pics as I finished cleaning it up. Next will be the bathroom, yuck. It's not poopy, just grody.

Got the awning out just to check it. Pretty good shape.

UK-Winnie

You have the same cooker and extractor hood as ours

I think you still have the original fridge too - unfortunately ours has been replaced

Overall it looks like a nice tidy rig.

Have fun

Steve
........nostalgia is not what it used to be

Stripe

I like the tag line on the side..

Still Cruisin'...  after all these years!

Oh, and welcome to the phunnie pharm!!!! :)rotflmao :)rotflmao :)rotflmao
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

Lefty

Welcome to the group! That's a fine looking Winne. I can assure you that you won't be insulted here. Treating each other with respect is one thing we are strict on here. Disagree, fine... but be hateful or insulting?? Not here.

As mentioned already, play around with the "Search" function... There's over 10yrs of collective knowledge here, and the reason we are so strict on proper posting is because it makes our "Search" function outstandingly well. 99% of the time you'll find the answer to a question you were about to ask.Plus, it can make for really good reading too.
But, if you come across a subject you cannot find info on, don't hesitate to ask for help. That's why we are here.
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

joev

Welcome to the Club I LOVE THIS FORUM I bought my Winnie last year and have been fixing it up these wonderful people here have saved my a lot of money and I learned a lot about RV's motor homes here. We are now ready to go on a cross country trip for 6 weeks and I am sure if I run into trouble somebody here will give direction where to get some parts where every your are in Canada or USA or UK.  :)clap have fun and welcome

Stripe

Quote from: Lefty on June 02, 2014, 09:14 PM
Welcome to the group! That's a fine looking Winne. I can assure you that you won't be insulted here. Treating each other with respect is one thing we are strict on here.

Pfft!  You obviously miss out on me and OldRockandRoller's conversations...   :)rotflmao
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

legomybago

QuoteIt's not poopy, just grody.

I think I may have this quote made into a bumper sticker?? :)ThmbUp

Welcome to the vintage RV world...Now get to work :P

Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

xerofall

Found the fuse box and replaced them all with new ones, suddenly the wipers began to work!!! So that's one less thing to worry about fixing.

legomybago

I love the easy fixes!
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

xerofall

Fixed the washers by replacing the pump. I have some washer arm adapters on order. Also got a new deadbolt.

xerofall

New batteries installed. Found out that solved the converter issue. Also played around with the furnace and discovered it was working (blowing air anyway) got new side mirrors, new tail lights, a few marker lights, a tail gate pin, spare tire cover.

All I need now is the stuff the mechanic is working on... the king pins, carb work, fuel gauge work, and parking brake.

Then the stuff I need to work on, water heater, check the fridge, toilet, black tank, propane lines, test oven, test furnace, test fridge, test toilet and shower, air conditioning.

Good times!