Before Driving Checklist

Started by engineer bill, June 06, 2014, 05:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

engineer bill

I used to work for NASA. They are really big on checklists and I came to appreciate and rely on them myself. One unexpected benefit is that they force you to think things out, in order to capture them on paper. It's amazing how many things pop up.

Before Driving Checklist:

• Disconnect 120V power

• Disconnect and stow sewer hose

• Disconnect and stow water hose

• Look at tires and air bags (height of wheel wells)

• Close LPG valve

• Slide step to “up" position

• Switch fridge to DC

• Close overhead vent in bathroom

• Make sure everything loose is stowed away

• Check that all cabinets are closed

• Check mirror adjustment

• Turn on “dual battery” (It may do this automatically-need to check)

• Wait (2 minutes) for fan clutch to release

• Wait (additional 2 minutes) for engine to drop off of high idle

• Release parking brake

• Look all around, check all mirrors, backup camera etc.

• Proceed
Any suggestions?
"on the road again, I just can't wait to get on the road again..."
thanks to Willie Nelson

M & J

Most refers have a travel lock. Best to engage it before rolling.[/size]Also, not sure if you have a crank up tv antenna but crank it down and make sure its parked in its cradle. If you have a built in amp it also needs to be turned off. I have a card that covers the speedo to remind me
M & J

Oz

Make sure the awning is secure.  Sounds dumb, but many people have taken-off, got on the highway, and guess what?  Do a 360° walk around.  Make sure nothing is left on the bumpers.... sounds dumb, but...
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Stripe

Double check Warp Coils, Inertial Dampers and Landing Gear..  (Batt Levels, Suspension and Leveling jacks if installed)
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

kattkisson

A comment on your checklist.  Some of us have an AC/Propane Refrigerator so you wouldn't want to cut the propane valve off before getting into travel mode. This is somewhat of a pain with various under the water tunnels which have inspection points to check that the valves are off here in Virginia. I ran the Shore power feed for the Refrigerator inside the living space so that I could use an invertor during those times.  (It pulls a constant 200 watts) Other than that looks good.  The key is not get into a rut and not use it

legomybago

Don't forget to put the step up!!! D:oH!
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

Froggy1936

If you are in so much of a hurry you do not do a walk around, Any expense will slow you down a lot . TV antenna,s are very fragile, I place my hand on every inside cabinet door (to make sure they are latched) incl fridge ,Also on all outside compartments. Also i have a 14X20 piece of packing sponge that i put inside medicine cabinet to hold everything in place and a bungee to hold door closed . (after picking everything back up from sink and floor 1 time )Turn off water pump power , A line shaken loose during travel will empty your tank make a mess and possibly destroy pump .Make sure all companions & pets are on board ! :angel:  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.