Towing rear wheel drive vehicles

Started by Clyde9, November 09, 2008, 10:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clyde9

Sent: 2/10/2003 9:29 AM

I want to my MB 280 SE with the winne. I need some help with this. I want to tow 4 down and need to know the best way to do this. Years ago, I remember Camping World use to carry " free wheeling hubs for autos" I will need to use something like this, because of the automatic transmission.

Does anyone have any idea where I can find them or are they still made? I do not like the idea of a transmisson pump or a disconnect on the drive shaft. I hope these are not the only thing in existance today.

Charly
charly@tampabay.rr.com

Sent: 2/10/2003 7:28 PM

Most rear wheel drive automatic cars require a drive shaft disconnect in order to be properly towed. Remco is a company that specializes in towing solutions. Bear in mind you will also need a baseplate (bracket) made for the car in order to connect it to the tow bar. ( http://remcotowing.com)

Most states require a towed vehicle to equipped with brakes if 3000lbs or more. Some states have a lower requirement. You indicate your Brave is a 1975 F-19. The F denotes a Ford chassis, which by 1975 was not, to my knowledge, available in 1975. Regardless of the chassis bear in mind that a big block engine is better suited for towing.

When I searched for a tow vehicle, I decided on a used 95 Geo Tracker 4X4, 5 speed, convertible. the reasons wereas follows:

1. Light weight , about 2300 lbs
2. The 4x4 with manual hubs can be towed flat with no mods
3. Used supply plentiful, in my neck of the woods
4. Demco (not Remco) had a baseplate for the vehicle at $135
5. The whole deal, tow bar, baseplate, lights etc. to tow the Tracker was under    $400

One can hadly notice any difference in pulling the Tracker and there was virtually no difference in fuel consumption. While I pull with a Ford 460, I would expect similiar results with a 440.