charging batteries while plugged into shore power

Started by circleD, May 07, 2014, 10:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

circleD

My inverter doesn't work and I know it doesn't charge the batteries but does convert DC to AC and really don't need it anyway. But if my interior lights, pump, and other things run off the coach battery how do I charge it up while on shore power? Do I need to get a charger and wire it in? Or is there a charger somewhere I don't know about? Its a 1984 HR Imperial 33

ClydesdaleKevin

Your converter, which converts AC to DC while you are plugged into shore power, should also charge your batteries while plugged in.

Might not be the most efficient charger...we upgraded the one in our 89 Holiday Rambler to a 3 stage smart charger type converter called a Powermax Boondocker.  But even without the upgrade, it is your converter that should be charging your batteries while plugged into shore power.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

circleD

That's what I thought and read in the manual but don't see any wiring that could do that.
By the way Kev! I got an Edelbrock carb and needed an adaptor and they try to sell me the wrong one so I showed them your pics from a post and said get me that one please  :P. And yours is the right one. DUH!

Stripe

Look under your bed for your converter..  That's where it is on mine..
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

circleD

All I have is the inverter under the couch. I'll do some more wire tracing tomorrow.

DaveVA78Chieftain

Not sure how Holiday Rambler did things however most RV's in that era used a converter that was built into the AC/DC power distribution panel.  Do you have a picture of the panel or is there a Mfg name/model on it?

Dave
[move][/move]

Stripe

The HRs of that particular year had one of the Triad-Utrad Converter Chargers.  They came in 30, 40, 50 and 70 amp rating.
Here is a link to a PDF that has the Info page for the TU model line. It's the very last two pages.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=7904&d=1296073924
Note the Voltage output of all the models.  Two are at 12.1v, one at 12.5v and the last has an output of 11.6.

Here is a picture of my 12v Fuse block for the Coach side of the RV:

Cover on....

Cover Off...

If this is similar to the one in your RV, and you should find it, your close to the converter/charger. 
BTW, mine is in a narrow wardrobe closet nearest my bed.

Now if for some reason I am wrong then you might have one that looks like this:

If so then I have no idea and you're on your own.. :D
Fredric,

circleD

I found the top picture and the fuses are good. I have one black wire with a connector  hanging on its own. I tried to plug it into the house but the cord was to short so I'll do that after bush hogging. But yea, I think the Invertor isn't working so some more test and research then I'll take it out for good.

M & J

One of us is confused. are you talking about your INVERTER or your CONVERTER?
M & J

Stripe

Dun hog all the bushes to yourself..

And yeah, you talkin' bout converter or inverter?

I'm thinking CONverter as that is what charges the batteries..
Fredric,

circleD

I typed up a reply and POOF gone! I know some INverters will charge batteries but my INverter doesn't even work. I found the black box (CONverter) like in the first pic with a black wire with a connector hanging out but no extra places to put it in. I tried to plug it up but the cord is to short so I'll try tomorrow with a longer one.

M & J

CONvINcing reply.......

However, inverters change DC to AC, and converters convert AC to DC. So its usually one or the other. Dunt recall seeing an inverter that charges also.
M & J

DaveVA78Chieftain

OK, all stop before you burn something up.

Converter - Converts 110VAC (Shore Power or generator) to 12VDC.  Used to power all 12VDC house devices and charge the battery.  The 12VDC output of the converter is connected to the DC Fuse panel in this picture:

DC FUSE PANEL PICTURE

Fredrick can confirm this but I suspect:
1) The big red wire at the top is connected to the house battery positive post
2) The big black wire on the top opposite side comes from the converter
3) The Large white wires on the right side all going to that terminal block are 12VDC ground

WARNING:  Do not connect any of the DC wires on the DC Fuse Panel to an AC outlet.

The Triad Converter that came with you rig most likely looks similar to this:

AC TO DC CONVERTER

Inverter - Used to convert 12VDC battery power to 110VAC for computers, microwaves, etc.  The one supplied with your rig DOES NOT CHARGE THE BATTERY.

It most likely looks like this:

DC TO AC INVERTER

and may have a control panel that looks like this:

DC TO AC INVERTER CONTROL PANEL

Please refer to this thread regarding HR inverter information:  http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php?topic=7551.0

On your rig, this switch is used to select between Shore Power/Generator or Inverter as the 110VAC source:

AC SOURCE SELECT SWITCH

No, you can not use the inverter to run the converter.

Dave
[move][/move]

Stripe

I'll have to take a look, but I think you're right..
Fredric,

circleD

Yes. That's my INVErter under the couch. Now  that I've found the black box with fuses in it for the CONVerter I will trace it down to find the actual CONVerter.
I was making sure that the big silver box INVErter didn't charge the 12 volt system so I'm done with that part  :)ThmbUp. Now just to kook for the small silver CONVerter box.
Thank you DAVE and STRIPE for helping with it. This is the reason I tell people they can't borrow the camper. TO MANY POWER SOURCES to figure out

DaveVA78Chieftain

Typically, RV mfg's placed the Converter close to the  DC fuse panel
[move][/move]

ClydesdaleKevin

Replacement of that type of CONVerter is easy though.  Usually just plug and play.  On our 89, its behind the drawers under the rear bedroom closet.  Right behind the lowest doors under the drawers that house the fuse and breaker boxes, and the switch that selects front or rear AC.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

TripleJ

CircleD, just curious, but how do you know your converter isn't charging the batteries?

I thought for a while mine wasn't working until I found out that it's charging voltage at the batteries is only 12.5V. 
'85 Holiday Rambler Presidential '28

Stripe

Quote from: TripleJ on May 11, 2014, 02:27 AM
I thought for a while mine wasn't working until I found out that it's charging voltage at the batteries is only 12.5V. 

Yepper, just look at my post up a bit further, the 50amp model is the one that outputs 12.5v
Fredric,

DaveVA78Chieftain

The ferroresonant transformer design of the Triad converter is a bit different.  Because of the transformer feedback design, the normal 13.6VDC rule of thumb for early converters does not necessarily apply.  Output voltage for this style of converter varies from 12VDC to 14.1VDC depending how much load it sees on the output.  Higher voltage for lighter loads.

Dave
[move][/move]

circleD

Triple J, I'm not sure because I haven't tried it yet. I know that sounds stupid but it was on my list of stuff to check and wanted a heads up on what to look for and check. So I can do it all at once if it doesn't work. I'm always in a time crunch like most of you and I spend a Kong time reading and researching so I can get in and get out then onto another project before the kids get up from their nap  D:oH!

Stripe

Fredric,

TripleJ

Aha, circleD I just reread this post, I had thought that you were saying your batteries weren't charging. My bad

Anyhow, my first check on mine was with the batteries connected and nothing on in the camper, to take a voltage reading at the battery terminals.

Then I went in and turned on all the lights and took another voltage reading at the battery terminals.

THEN with all the lights on, plug the camper into shore power and take yet another reading at the battery terminals.

'85 Holiday Rambler Presidential '28

circleD

OK I know I'm late on this. I plugged the generator to power the rig and the house battery charges up. I still think my INverter is not working but that'll be a whole other thread. There's a black wire out of the CONverter black box but no empty slots for it. Thanks everyone for helping to locate all this.

Jerry

It seems my powersource 45a converter is shot what would be a good replacement? From what I can tell this is not original equipment in a 83 HR just need some input on something that will keep my batteries charged and last a long time.
Jerry