Stop leaking Fiberglass black water holding Tank at inlet/outlet pipe joints?

Started by LJ-TJ, May 30, 2013, 09:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveVA78Chieftain

If there was water still in the tank it steams creating air bubbles.  Cannot have water close to the repair area.  Now you know why I used a 80 watt soldering iron.

Dave
[move][/move]

starrebel

Mike

starrebel

Hey Dave,  Took some pics of my crappy work lol. I am attempting the photo bucket thing. I hope it works. Kind of at a loss as to what to do now. It is leaking bad around the flange. I believe the dirt particles were because the heat was dropping on the soldering iron. The plastic tubing was burning on the iron. It got worse if I tried to wipe it off on something. Do you think I should try to remove it with the right soldering iron and start over or try something else. I appreciate your advise. Thanks

Mike

starrebel

Also Dave this is the soldering iron I was thinking of getting since I'm old and cant see lol. Do you think it would help or hinder me getting around the flange. I also forgot to mention in my previous post that the tanks were empty and open. I also stuck rags inside of the tank to sop up any remaining water

http://www.amazon.com/Weller-SP80NUS-Heavy-Soldering-Black/dp/B00B3SG796/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1402396998&sr=8-1&keywords=80+watt+soldering+iron
Mike

DaveVA78Chieftain

My soldering iron is basically the same without the LEDs.  Looks good

Almost looks like you are just applying a layer of plastic over the area rather than melting the base plastic to mix the filler in with it.  Filler should mix with base plastic.  The base and filler have to bond/blend together.  Mine was not pretty either.  Just had to work at it to get a bond that would hold.  You may have to heat the area with a heat gun to make sure it is dry before welding it.

Dave
[move][/move]

starrebel

Thanks Dave I feel better now. thought i screwed it up. The plastic in the tank is a white color and the tubing is kinda more clear and softer when it cools. it takes quite a bit more to melt the tank then it does the tubing. i think that is why it didn't stick. I ordered up the soldering iron so should get by Friday. I will make another attempt before I throw in the towel. I have been tossing around removing the tank because I have a tough time seeing what I am doing around the top of the flange. Do you think that's a good idea? The tank was very dry around where  was welding.
Mike

starrebel

Sorry Dave, Didn't realize the photobucket was set to public. Apparently someone reported 2 of them to be moved. Shame that kind of stuff happens these days. Trying to copy them again. After looking at the photo with the black stuff it could have been from a previous repair.

Mike

DaveVA78Chieftain

I will see if I can take some pictures of my some of my repairs this evening (work day).  If I recall correctly, yours looks very similar to my repairs.

Dave   
[move][/move]

starrebel

Thanks Dave,

Got the soldering iron today and was able to pretty much fix all the leaking. Apparently I forgot or was just overwhelmed with all the leaks I missed 2 small ones so will let tanks dry out and fix it and the other tank next weekend. Soldering iron is way better than what I had and runs hotter. Thanks and I will let you know how it goes. Weird thing the 2 smallest cracks were the hardest ones to fix. The big crack I had to fill in a lot was great.
Mike

DaveVA78Chieftain

I suppose the lesson is, do not waste money on the Harbor Freight plastic repair kit to repair white polyethylene fresh water storage tanks. The iron is just to light weight of construction.  Get a 80 watt soldering iron and either a ice maker tubing kit with polyethylene hose or just a some polyethylene hose.

The patch kits work well on black ABS sewer tanks.   You have a 30/70 chance of the patch kit working on white polyethylene tanks.  They just do not stick well to the slick polyethylene surface.

Dave
[move][/move]