Extend the range of your wifi dongle.

Started by Stripe, May 05, 2014, 04:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stripe

Okay, first off I know that a lot of you have probably heard of folks already doing this.

I wanted to do this to see if it actually worked and it did.

Here is a list of parts you will want:

• USB WiFi dongle (for this I used the one from my XBox 360)
  • A long enough USB cable to reach outside your RV. (I used a 6 foot extension for this)
  • A satellite dish (of the unwanted and preferably FREE persuasion I got mine off CraigsList and it came with the outdoor mount)
  • The electronic doohickey you wish to have better internet on. (I used my XBox 360 because it was the only thing I have that has a external WiFi Dongle)
This was totally easy to do. All I did was set up the Xbox as usual put the wifi dongle out the window. Then I went inside to see how many WiFi spots I could pick up, including the one from the house.

I pulled in 9.
Next I took the WiFi dongle and then set it onto the arm part that holds the LNB or Low Noise Block converter that points at the Dish.

This time I pulled in 30 WiFi signals.
This tells me that this actually works.  So if you were wondering if this works, and wanted a very inexpensive way to improve your signals, it does.
Here is a pic of the dish.

At the time I had the base taken apart and used a milk crate with two ten pound dumbbells in it to hold it up.

Here is a link to the short vid I made. http://youtu.be/FAXqmM_WGb0
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

moonlitcoyote

WOW, wish I had known about that before, I always have an extra dish and I have cousin-in-law that has a pile of junk dishes

ClydesdaleKevin

Hmmmmm.  I wonder if that would boost the signal to a T-Mobile hot spot device?  Just put the device where you put the dongle. 

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

DaveVA78Chieftain

[move][/move]

Stripe

I don't know about incoming cell signals.

I have full bars all the time where I live. 

However today I thought I would see if putting a cell phone in the same spot on the Dish as the wi-fi adapter from the Xbox 360 would help the cell phone get better reception. 
Sadly it did not.
I tried setting it in, in different ways, but there were no significant results.
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28