Tail light repair options?

Started by TripleJ, April 22, 2014, 02:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TripleJ

I figured that since out of the 6 bulbs at the rear of my camper, only one brake, one park, and one turn signal was working, it was probably time to look into it

I removed the six lenses, cleaned the disgusting grease type stuff out and tried to remove some bulbs. This is what's left of most of them

So now I need to make a decision on whether to try and install some new sockets into the existing housings - which will need to be drilled and rigged - or just getting rid of the factory housings all together and going with some LED flush mounts.

If I keep the housings, I'd like to go with LEDs anyhow.  Has anybody used an off he shelf LED 1157 bulb? How did it work, and how do you feel about the light output??
'85 Holiday Rambler Presidential '28

Rickf1985

I tried those bulbs a few years ago and was not impressed at all. They may have improved by now. I see the dreaded boat connectors on all of those wires. I would be sure to rip then of and check the wires for corrosion. Then use marine butt connectors that have sealant/glue in them. You heat them up and they shrink and seal at te same time. No water intrusion after that. Be SURE the wires are corrosion free before doing that.

HandyDan

yep, been there, done that.  I used a Dremil tool and managed to clean up most of the sockets to useable status.  However, I had to replace the extreme right socket.  I used dielectric grease on the bulb bases.  I used regular 1157 bulbs.  I don't see where LEDs are any advantage in that area. 
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

Oz

I agree the 1157 replacement bulbs aren't really any better.  However, if you are willing to spend the money, a good set of LED taillights are awesome.  Kevin put all LEDs on his Itasca and they were phenomenal!  Pricey though, very pricey.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Stripe

Wow, I better have a look at mine in the very near future.
How much time are you willing to put into replacing the sockets.  It can be done. The sockets themselves can be bought from a lot of online sources and motorcycle shops.  If you use these (Mouse over the checkmarked 1157 box):
http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/empty-bases-sockets/ba15-base-wired-sockets/171/770/?utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=base&utm_content=BA15x-SW&utm_campaign=GoogleBaseChild&gclid=CI_Mvoe89L0CFROVfgodMI8A1w
As you see the bases are different which means some hole drilling and riveting.  Keep the ground strap if possible to use as a mounting part.

As to LEDs that is up to you.  They do make a 1157 bulb that is available here: http://www.rvledbulbs.com/product-p/18-0562.htm
I bought a ten pack of the 1156 single pole from them for US$89 before using a discount code for the inside of my HR and have been very pleased. That is where Kevin got his. If I can find the discount code it's like 12 bucks off the price.
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

ClydesdaleKevin

I was lucky on our HR, and the sockets were still good.  Some of the lenses had minor cracks in them, and since I switched the HR over to LEDs as well, I wanted to seal the lenses.  I simply laid a bead of 2 part epoxy over each crack.  The lenses are hard to find used, and impossible new!

By the way, when I converted the HR over to full LED, the signals wouldn't work even with a new electronic flasher relay.  Had to leave the front two bulbs in the front bumper...the easiest ones to get to...incandescent.  All other bulbs besides the headlamps are LEDs now.  I also liberally slathered dielectric grease into every socket and all over every bulb.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

pvoth1111

Look closer..... its smiling 
We call our coach "Charlie Brown"

M & J

M & J

TripleJ

Smiling, but it's actually delirious. If it knew what was going on it wouldn't be so happy

Kev, what bulbs did you use? Are they as bright as regular bulbs?

Wbago

on ebay, youll find small 12v led panels that replace interior dome lights etc ... theyre from china, very cheap, im using them to replace my interior lights at the moment . .. ..

could be a few of those would work for you, just need to glue plastic 'shelves' over the socket holes to mount the led's to .... ??

Wbago

Quote from: Stripe on April 22, 2014, 12:13 PM

As to LEDs that is up to you.  They do make a 1157 bulb that is available here: http://www.rvledbulbs.com/product-p/18-0562.htm
I bought a ten pack of the 1156 single pole from them for US$89 before using a discount code for the inside of my HR and have been very pleased. That is where Kevin got his. If I can find the discount code it's like 12 bucks off the price.

WOW !!! ... these are on ebay at around a buck a piece :D ... search for '12v led bulb 1157' .....

Rickf1985

You get what you pay for! Chinese specials.

ClydesdaleKevin

LEDS

This is where I got most of mine from, or at least used the model numbers for comparison shopping on eBay.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Stripe

Quote from: ClydesdaleKevin on April 23, 2014, 09:28 AM
LEDS

Hehe, that's the company I posted the link from.  I totally gave you props too.. :D

As to the bulbs for a buck?  Is that the buyout or starting bid?  Either way, I would NOT trust them.  The ones from rvledbulbs.com  are of better quality.  If you can, post a link to the ebay listing.  I would like to see the specs.  A lot of LED bulbs for vehicles don't have a very broad voltage range to avoid burnout of the PCB used to control the LEDs.  I have the 1156s in my RV and they have a V range ~8-30V.. Keeps my mind at ease should there be a power surge.
Fredric,

Wbago

Stripe - theres a load of adverts, take your pick :D

the ones in my Jag have been fine for 4 years so far, even the fade out ones in the footwells worked fine with the led's, and i was told they wouldnt ....
ive just bought 15 panels in 3 sizes, to swap out in the original interior roof lights, and ive added a string of white leds round the main area, cos it might be a 1987 motor, but i cant be doing those yellowish bulbs lol ...
now its bright white, but i also added a string of remote control multi colour ones, just for the fun of it :D

15 assorted panels - £15 the lot -  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321358344977?var=510251647714&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
2 white 5metre strip - £14 - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171173915035?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
3 multicolour 5metre strips - £36 - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390618152402?var=660146350099&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Wbago

this is the comparable item to the panels i bought, $16 each on http://www.rvledbulbs.com/product-p/18-0565.htm

now i aint cheap, but id rather pay 15 quid than 200 quid :D

Stripe

Lol, When I get back to a decent internet connection, I will have to give those lonks a look. I sat and waited 5 minutes for the pics to load..  Ah well..  AS long as you have had a good experience with those, then by all means have at 'em!  :D
Fredric,

TripleJ

Well Im gonif to try replacing the sockets first. It will be cheap enough using stripes link to superbrightleds.com. then I'll be able to experiment with bulbs, and just go with standards if it comes down to it. Especially if I have a failure on the road.

I found some pretty nice full led replacement assemblies on amazon for reasonable price, but that leaves me at all or nothing, and some cutting and painting on the MH siding.

TripleJ

I would have liked to have implemented a more glamorous solution, but alas, I simply ripped the old sockets out, drilled a prettier hole and stuffed the new socket in.  I bent the tabs down over the plastic, ran a gutter screw into one side for good measure and soldered the ground to the other tab. Meh, should last for a while.  If I keep this unit long enough Id like to revisit these tail lights

Yes they work, and look good enough bolted back into place...

Oz

As I say, "It doesn't always have to be pretty, it just has to be."  Looks just peachy to me. 
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Rickf1985

Once it is mounted back nobody will know but you............................................ and all of us. :)rotflmao