67 Lifetime - where is the dipstick for the oil?

Started by LittleLucy27, March 06, 2014, 10:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LittleLucy27

Well, after seeing your pics I went out to try again and I'm stumped. The one on the block is solid cast and I don't see one in the pan either. The girl said it was a marine motor, I thought she probably meant the deep cell marine battery? I put a pic in the gallery. Thanks for any ideas, lol i??

DaveVA78Chieftain

QuoteThe girl said it was a marine motor

As in not the stock motor?

If so you might have a double whammy.  They replaced the engine with one that used a oil pan dipstick but placed the original oil (block oil dipstick) pan on the engine.

Dave
[move][/move]

LittleLucy27

Well, shoot, what to do next? Lol that would explain some shiny bits here and there. The motor runs very quiet and smooth  ;)

DaveVA78Chieftain

Can you take some pictures of the complete side of you engine rather than just pieces please?

Your only choice may be tracking down a new oil pan.  That may require a different oil pump too.  But you would also have to make sure the new oil pan clears the straight axle.

Dave
[move][/move]

LittleLucy27

DaveVA78Chieftain

Possibly this one: Platinum P/N 2640024

The description does indicate the dip stick in oil pan.

Dave
[move][/move]

Stripe

Here is where it would have gone..

edit: nm.. ???

Glad to have helped..
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

DaveVA78Chieftain

This version (http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1077796-can-i-delete-my-breather-extension.html) :

Goes into the pan here:

Another version, from same thread I linked to, enters the block after the oil filter:

Showing possibilities for options.

Dave
[move][/move]

DaveVA78Chieftain

LilLucy,

[smg id=6356]

Unless there is a hole between the oil filter and oil pressure sender like used for the yellow handled one in this pic (below) that I cannot see in your pic (above)

You are looking at replacing oil pan.  I doubt you want to hear that though.

Dave
[move][/move]

LittleLucy27

Yeah Dave, you're correct. I think I'm over it and will pass it along to someone more willing and able to fix it. I really wanted a trailer to tow behind my '68 International Harvester pickup anyway. I just thought this was so cute and unique. It is a head turner, people stop and point in front of my house, lol. Thanks so much.

DaveVA78Chieftain

Sorry to hear that was a deal breaker.  Good luck.

Dave
[move][/move]

LittleLucy27

Thanks Dave. That wasn't the only reason, just the final one. The proverbial straw. It has three fuel tanks and the PO found it necessary to pull the mechanical fuel pump (I can do that repair, done it on the IH) and installing an electric one in the cab sucking from a five gallon can lol. But dropping the tanks and/or chasing down a any associated issues is too much asking with the oil pan and other stuff. I have no clue how much to ask? i?? , you ?  W%

DaveVA78Chieftain

As far as value, that always depends on condition.  JD (JDexper) most likely has the best idea on value for an F-17 though.

Dave
[move][/move]

LittleLucy27

LittleLucy27

Ok, for the time being, I'm gonna keep the Lil guy and putz with what is within my capabilities. It's just so darn cute and unique.  :-[

legomybago

Sometimes the "over whelming" factor comes in to play when your working on these older rigs...thats when you step back, take a break, dont touch the rig for a week or two. This is one BIG reason for keeping up on the "to do list" as issues occur down the road...Of coarse.... you have to get to the point of having a managable list first!! hahaha :)
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

Froggy1936

Lucy, Here is a idea that will help put your mind at ease till you figure out the dip stick problem. Drain the engine oil into a clean container . If the drained oil looks clean measure it (put it into a empty gallon container with a visable window in the container and measurements) Then refill the engine 5 qts should be enough (use the old oil if its good or use new) . The filter can be left as is if the oil looks clean if not change it also and add an additional qt of oil If the engine does not smoke when running you should be good for at least 500 mi or till you get some way to measure it . Whatever do not continue to run it without knowing there is enough oil or your problems could  increase 10 fold .Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

JDxeper

Ok     I have a pan with the dipstick, do you want it?   Just have to lift it up with the front loader and unbolt it.  Shipping should not be too much.  Send me a PM with shipping instructions if you want it.  Best deal in town! :)clap
I have the motor just for the manifolds, needed to part it out anyway.
BTW, I think Dave was right, they changed pans for some reason.  You could also drill out the port hole for the dipstick, but it might be easier to replace pan!
Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

DaveVA78Chieftain

[move][/move]

LittleLucy27

Thank you so much! I'll pm you.
That's just awesomeness  :)clap :)clap

Stripe

I absolutely love this site and all of you guys!!
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28