Windshield wiper travel and wiper to window pressure.

Started by Rickf1985, April 17, 2014, 06:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rickf1985

Yup, It's me again with yet another subject. This thing has only had three systems work so far, the hot water heater, the coach heater and the coach A/C. That's it! Now the wipers have an issue. When I got it iI found that the seller had rigged the passenger side wiper transmission arm so it would stay on long enough for me to see it worked and then it fell off. No big deal, bought a new arm for an outrageous price and installed it.

Noticed at that time that I literally could not move the wiper from the arm connection by hand because the wiper spring is holding the wiper so tight against the windshield. Greased up the new arm and got it on and also greased up the old other arm and tried them out. The passenger side appears to cover most of the windshield but the drivers side comes way short of the left side. It ends right in front of your left eye and then goes back. That is one problem,

The other is the fact that the wiper springs are so tight that the wiper motor kicks out on overload if you try to wipe a dry windshield. I can use Rain-X on the windshield to help that problem but what is going on with the wiper travel? At center of travel shut ignition off and measure from each blade to center strip of the windshield and the drivers side is actually further out than the passenger side. At rest they are both the same distance from the center. I thought maybe an arm or bellcrank got bent but that would affect both wipers since they are both on the same crank. I can't even sell this thing unless all the systems are up and running. I really should have gotten on here BEFORE I bought it.

legomybago

The wipers work great! The PO said!!  :laugh:

I here you on up to your ears in repairs...
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

Oz

Sounds like they were replaced with ones that were too taut.
This may help a bit with the spring issue:

http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php/topic,1577.msg1836.html#msg1836
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

tiinytina

And here I had to ADD springs (made for a jeep) to mine so that the blades actually DO touch the windshield....  :angel: some of the time...  they worked FINE on a dry windshield when I bought her.. and passed inspection of course... Add water.. um not so much. 

Tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

Rickf1985

My main concern is the lack of travel on the drivers side wiper. I need it to go further to the left. I am sure I can remove it from the post and reclock it but then it will not park at the center. I guess I am just going to have to play with it.