Fresh water tank size?

Started by PwrWgnWalt, April 17, 2014, 02:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PwrWgnWalt

Believe original for my MH was about 36 gal, PO had installed a 56 gal flat that isn't going to work (only 5.5" high, takes up entire rear floor).

Limited boondocking, 2 of us, and will drink from bottled water, so am not overly concerned with huge capacity. But since I'll be buying a tank I want it to be thought out and not regretted.  Looks like a 46 gal polyethylene tank, or smaller, will fit well:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/200908799372?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

What size FW tank (or tanks) should I consider?   
What do you have, and how's it work out?

Water weighs 8 pounds per gallon, so using some easy to figure tank sizes:
30 gallons = 240 lbs
40 gallons = 320 lbs
50 gallons = 400 lbs

Thanks for the advice!
Walt & Tina

Stripe

Does your RV have a separate grey tank?  If so consider that into your calculations..

My Grey is about 30 gal and the black about 40..

For me I have the two separate tanks and I find I fill my grey water before my black..  Not exactly sure how that works out but there it is..
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

PwrWgnWalt

Yes, have separate 'grey water' and 'black water' waste tanks.  Unsure of exact capacity, but quick rough measurements calculate out to about 30 gal and 25 gal, respectively.

Understand about not having more fresh water than waste water capacity, but have never had any experience, so didn't know how it usually works out...

What is your fresh water tank capacity, Fredric?
Walt & Tina

DaveVA78Chieftain

My 26ft Chieftain has
Fresh: 58 gal
Grey: 17 Gal  (way to small)
Black: 56 Gal

I had to get a Camco grey water holding tank maximizer so I could push grey to black.

Dave
[move][/move]

Stripe

Walt, here are my specs.  It's funny too, I went out to the 'Goose' with a tape measure and did calculations to come up with capacities, only to remember (AFTER I DID THE MEASURES AND CALCULATIONS) that I had posted a brochure for the Holiday Rambler line from 1984 that actually has listed the information I was measuring for!!   :)rotflmao

Suffice it to say, for my model HR Imperial 28, 28 foot the capacities are as follows-

27gal Black, 22gal Grey waste, 39gal Fresh...

Thank you and have a Pleasant Tomorrow....
Fredric,

PwrWgnWalt

Walt & Tina

cncsparky

I just looked up specs on my rig. 55 gallon water, 35 gal. waste tank, 35 gal. sink tank. 

I take it that waste tank = black tank and sink tank = grey tank.

Then tell me what goes into each one?  If the black is for what I think its for, why does it need 35 gallons?  For just the toilet?
-Tom

PwrWgnWalt

Hi Tom;

Yes, one of the great mysteries is the sizing of holding tanks (to me anyway).

The Fresh Water tank holds potable water,
The Grey Water tank is supposed to hold everything that goes down a drain (sink, tub/shower), and yes...
The Black Water tank is supposed to hold only what goes down the toilet.

However, some owners report that their Black Water tank receives input from more than their toilet, like maybe the shower. 

One reason the Black Water tank may be a bit larger than initially deemed necessary (in comparison) is that it seems when boondocking some will let their grey water drain out.  Can't (or shouldn't) do that with the black water, so I suppose it might need to contain more  $@!#@!  before being able to dump the tanks.

Another reason is that all the adult beverages consumed fill up the black water tank quickly...

Walt & Tina

cncsparky

Quote from: PwrWgnWalt on May 12, 2014, 11:49 PM

Another reason is that all the adult beverages consumed fill up the black water tank quickly...

Now that I understand!  :)clap W%
-Tom

Stripe

:)rotflmao
BTW, anyone else besides me find their grey tank needs to be bigger???
Fredric,

TripleJ

Quote from: Stripe on May 14, 2014, 12:33 AM
:)rotflmao
BTW, anyone else besides me find their grey tank needs to be bigger???

Quit using the sink W%
'85 Holiday Rambler Presidential '28

Mr. T

I have a fifty gallon fresh water tank that sits behind the driver's seat.  My owner manual recommends this tank stay full as much as possible to off set the weight of the generator.  The generator sits on the passenger side rear corner.  My experience is a better ride with the fresh tank full.

Don

Oz

Good observation, Don.  I always wondered about RVs with that set-up. 
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Froggy1936

I try to keep my fresh water full Just in case, (It is located approx 1/3 of the way back on the L/S behind the driver), And my Generator is on the R/R So it does help balance things It is a 40 gal tank @ 8+ lb,s thats over 300 lbs The generator weighs approx 150 lbs  . With all clean fluids you can never have to much in an emergency esp. a fire Or a Major loss of coolant or even a Zomby appocolipse  :laugh: ! Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

Rickf1985

After taking my first trip I realized that two showers and two nights of cleaning dishes pretty much filled my grey tank so I just checked my capacities. 55 fresh, 30 grey and 50 black. Guess I can go quite a while on the black tank. And, and go, and go...............................
I do have to change out the old original shower head for a more effecient one that is for sure.

DaveVA78Chieftain

And now you know why I got a Camco grey water holding tank maximizer

Transfer grey to black to extend my stay time capability.

Dave
[move][/move]

TerryH

55 fresh, 30 grey and 50 black

Why not 50 grey and 30 black? Who knows? Designer never had to pee or wash dishes?
In my case I found out - fortunately - that in a lot of cases the vanity sink drains into the black water tank.
The way I discovered this was while in a lot when the temps were forcasted to go far below freezing I decided -Hey I'll run the vanity tap minimally, keep water moving so no freezing lines.
Being an old dude, got up in the middle of the night, used the head, and was almost swamped. Shut the vanity tap off, went outside, froze my everythings,opened the black drain up and a huge rush of "something" draining.
Vanity drains to the black water tank. Why? Add to your large list of questions.

One suggestion - if your drainage set up is the same as mine  you could do dishes in a tub in the sink and then empty into the vanity sink - black water.

Or, as I think you are familiar with boats, consider a composting head. I had two on my live aboard, eliminated three thru hulls and a myriad of nasty waste lines. Put one in the Brave and now have no black water tank.

Pricey, but a consideration.

Terry
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore