Fixing Fur to dashboard ??

Started by Wbago, April 14, 2014, 02:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wbago

Anyone had experience gluing fur fabric to vinyl dashboards? ...

im thinking spray on glue, but im remembering the stuff i had before that stank for months . ..

:D

M & J

The 3M stuff has low VOCs and its not so bad.
M & J

UK-Winnie

Tell me you're not serious !  It's not really an '80s correct look you know.
........nostalgia is not what it used to be

Oz

Sure, why not?  If that's what floats your boat, I've seen "alleged" no-odor epoxy glues in the hardware section.  I dont' know if that's true or totally true, but I do know they exist.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

TerryH

Sure, why not?  If that's what floats your boat
and back to ORaR, the 3M spray adhesives are very good, low VOC, fast set, pricey, but effective provided you use them as specified. IE - SPRAY 77, SPRAY 88, SPRAY 99 are specific to use - fabric to wood, foam to fabric, etc. read the label qualifications. Not meant for structural use - wood to wood, etc.
If fur on your dash fills your boot then it's a good choice.
T
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

Wbago

Sweet!
local shop says carpet glue, odour will go in a few days ... they have the stuff i used before, and its to fix vinyl to vinyl, high bond .. no wonder it stinks lol

im off to the diy place today, will have a mooch and see what they got :D

im thinking tiger or leopard maybe, but the seats are going beige and sheepskin, so ill see what suits

UK-Winnie: not 80's, more 70's custom ... think Huggie Bear :D

PwrWgnWalt

I was thinking you might be trying for the "pooch-mobile" look, from the movie Dumb & Dumber! 
Walt & Tina

UK-Winnie

Quote from: Wbago on April 15, 2014, 02:15 AM
... think Huggie Bear :D

.............. what it is brother, what it is.
........nostalgia is not what it used to be

LJ-TJ

Yah just had to open that can of worms didn't yah! :)rotflmao Don't forget pictures. D:oH!

Wbago

pictures soon .... been bizzy fitting led disco lights lol :D

mechanic due soon for the service too, outside half cleaned, roof sealer done (3 coats), seat covers ordered :D ... its all happening lol :P

i just postponed a tattoo cos i was sat holding the stereo surround while the glue stuck lol .. . .oh well, theres always tomorrow :D:D

TripleJ

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't want to put something that permanent on e dash. The PO had a cleverly cut piece of carpet on the dash of my motorhome, and I was GLAD he didn't glue it down. I was able to just slide it off. That said, it sure did protect the vinyl from sun damage.

Is it possible to remove dash sections and wrap them with your fabric and staple it to the back side of the pieces? I once did that to door panel sections of a car I pimped out back in the day
'85 Holiday Rambler Presidential '28

Stripe

Groovy Baby!!  Just Groovy!

I used to love watching Starsky and Hutch...
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

Wbago

Wrapping isnt really an option for me without lots of work, i think ..

thing is, at some time in her life my bago had a bump, passenger side front, all repaired badly :(
the outside isnt too bad, but the hard dash panels have cracks and splits and odd screws in odd places .. theres even silicon holding some bits in place lol ..

replacing would be a biatch, IF i could find one, paint isnt gonna hide it, a suede type covering would be too thin and show screws etc thru it, and there aint many other ways to go :D

fur - covers everything DEEP, so no holes, cracks, splits, screws ....
fixing - cant staple it without removing it, tried velcro strips and they dont stick very good, cant sew it on or pin it, and its vinyl, so nothing weaker will stay stuck, due to years of polish etc thats been chucked at it ....
ive now tried the spray glue, and it comes off as soon as its dried :(

gonna do a test with evo-stik now (big guns :)) and see where that gets me :D

Stripe - that handsome bloke look like me lol :D
and im pretty extrovert anyhoo, nobody who knows me will be surprised at my choice :D

OOoooo ... finally settled on 'OCELOT' fur, nice beige/brown tones, ordered 6 mtrs of it, should be plenty lol :D

LJ-TJ

• Have you considered a dashboard over lay  i??
http://coverlaymfg.com/

Wbago

not in my country as far as i know, and arent they a custom fit, for each vehicle??

besides, the furs cheaper lol :D

Seat covers arrived today, ive temp fitted one and its gonna be great with the ocelot lol :D

Stripe

I say go with the "Groove" AND CARPET THAT BABY!!
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

ClydesdaleKevin

Sand the heck out of it to rough it up, and go with contact cement.  It'll never come off, but you don't want it to come off, right?  Contact cement has lots of fumes at first, but they go away in a couple of days as it cures. 

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Lefty

I agree with Kevin, I've used contact cement to affix new formica to countertops and tables, backsplash panels, carpet on custom speaker boxes,vinyl to doorpanels, and oak laminate skins onto OSB plywood cabinets.
Apply with a brush to both surfaces, allow to dry to a glossy sheen (it will feel dry and not to sticky to the touch), then position it EXACTLY where you want it. Once the two surfaces touch, it will not be movable, so be careful at this phase. After positioning, press firmly in place all over.
It will never come apart. The bond is far stronger than either material.
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

Wbago

Yup, small test shows the evo works :D

as for the tricky application, im thinking do the front half and lay those sections on, then after thats fixed i'll do the dash panel etc ... gonna be fiddly lol :D

sewing machine came home from the repairs today, so bedroom pelmets and curtains can get finished now.

gonna change the speakers out too, cos 80's paper cones are like parchment ....

rear window out, stripped and resealed back in, scary few moments when i put the window in then realise ive gotta let it go to run inside and fix it, but it didnt fall out, so all good  :)clap