Ideas for spare tire mount?

Started by PwrWgnWalt, April 08, 2014, 02:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PwrWgnWalt

Our Beach-Craft does not have, and apparently has never had, a spare tire mount. 
Would like to carry a spare, but don't know the best way to mount it.  Tires are 8r-19.5 on heavy steel Budd wheels.

Due to the nature of the rear bumper, that's not an option for mounting place. Could mount to the rear of frame, on extension from from frame to bumper, but fuel door access is an issue (center rear).  A swing-away might be an option there. 

Under rear frame (and everywhere else underneath) is also crowded with rear fuel tank, etc.

I'll take a picture of the rear area this afternoon and post.

So, am looking for ideas... all ideas are welcome!
Thanks,
-Walt
Walt & Tina

Oz

Hopefully, some peeps will add some good photos of the back of their eyebrow Winnies' swing-out tire carrier.  That swing-away spare mount - I liked it.  Easy to fabricate, I would think.

Here's photo.  Not greatly helpful in how it's made but you can see that I also doubled it up as a bike carrier too.

It's basically an inverted "T" made from square, steel tubing.  The "hinge" on the left side is just a bolt.  On the right is where you put a pin through to hold it secure.  On the upright are two studs which go through your wheel, just like it would be mounted on your axle.  (Could use a couple of bolts instead)

[smg id=160]

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

ibdilbert01

We made one that fit the hitch receiver using parts from a bike carrier. 

Issue had always been getting into the trunk with the tire on.    Tire use to be roof mounted, and to be honest I liked it on the roof until the day I needed to get the spare tire off the roof.    The tires are so big, they are hard to handle and getting one down from the roof by myself is pretty hard to do.   To fold the tire down, you just pull a pin and it tilts out of the way of the trunk.  When flat towing a car, we just stick the spare in the trunk of the vehicle we are pulling. 

Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

DaveVA78Chieftain

78 Winnebago Chieftain Tire carrier drawing

The options begin    W%
[move][/move]

PwrWgnWalt

Added some pictures above of the rear bumper/frame area... looks like the Winnebago-style swing-away will work great back there!   Thanks for the ideas!
Walt & Tina

cncsparky

Apparently most newer coaches don't come with a spare.  Maybe won't work for OP, but this could be an option for others.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/27116778.cfm

-Tom