413-1 engine replace or rebuild?

Started by JCMAC, April 04, 2014, 07:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JCMAC

I am stuck with a freshly restored '72 D22C which I have owned for 27 years and love dearly.  However, I lost a cylinder and have to replace/rebuild the engine.
  The cost to remove or replace an engine is as expensive (I don't want to do this my self) as the cost of a rebuilt motor (totaling 8-10K  :'( ) so a used motor seems not worth the trouble.

Any comments?
John

ibdilbert01

The only way your going to do it cheaply is to do it yourself.    If it were me, I'd gamble with a junkyard/ebay/craigslist 440 and stick it in.     
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

Elandan2

I wouldn't get too discouraged yet.  First off, even up here in Canada, a rebuilt 440 only goes for about $3000.  Finding someone to pull and replace the engine may be a little more difficult, but are there any schools with shop programs in your area?  Sometimes they like to take on a new project and really can do good work for a low fee.  You may be able to find someone willing to do the job for some cash.  Then there is the question of the engine itself, is it a burnt valve?  Pulling off the heads and having them done over isn't nearly as expensive and of course, doesn't involve removing the engine.  Just a few things to mull over.  Rick
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

hose-man

Wondering what JCMac decided to do....

I just pulled my pan while trying to figure out why my 413 had developed such a terrible shudder.   I found a broken piston rod.  lame. 

So I'm in the same boat....  Almost.   I have the time and ability to do the swap,  I just need some advice from someone who's already been there.   

Did you pull the front axle and drop the motor out the bottom? Or cut sheet metal to pull it out the front??

Also, need suggestions on whether to put new internals in the 413 or swap to a re-manned 440. 

Thanks in advance!
-Jed

hose-man

hose-man

ClydesdaleKevin

Looks like you are making progress!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

JessEm

I doubt most people know and appreciate how much work is involved just to get it this far. 

:)ThmbUp

legomybago

Imagine what a shop would charge for this job..... :'(
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

Dodgy71

hose-man:  Did you remove the frame cross member just ahead of the engine, or where you able to lift high enough to get over it? Also, did you have to remove the pan, and or any of the top end to get enough vertical clearance?
  In my 71 Travco with a 413-1, it looks near impossible without either stripping the top end of the engine first, or removing the frame cross member, so wonder if I am missing something.