Firestone vs Airlift air bag suspension?

Started by Hahn007, April 01, 2014, 05:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hahn007

I will be replacing front air bags and adding rears to my P32 chassis.
Just wondering if anybody knows of any differences between the firestone and airlift brands?

Stripe

Honestly?  About US$50 when it came to replacing my front bags.  Air Lift were less expensive.

Also have a look at this.
http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php/topic,7759.msg47815.html#new
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

Oz

I chose the Airlift as well.  Due to the lower price.  They were excellent.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Hahn007

Thanks for the responses so far.  Has anybody added bags to the rear?

Rickf1985

Mine has the Jetco air ride suspension, same airbags as the trucks use. I will be replacing them and the fronts with Air Lift due to price. They are both quality companies so it comes down to price.

cncsparky

I bought the firestones, not knowing or realizing that there were two different manufacturers.  The kit was just over $100.  I don't know what hardware comes with the air ride, but I liked the Firestones.  Has a brass 90 deg. fitting for the bottom of the bag so the line doesn't hang down as much like what was on mine before. 

The only other difference I see is my firestones are blue, the air ride appear to be red in color. 
-Tom

Oz

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Stripe

Say, I like that first link, dunno why but just seems like the guy that did it is cool...

But seriously, from what you say, the color is probably the biggest diff, that and I only paid US$89.00ish..  Mine also came with the 90 deg elbow..
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

Rickf1985

Actually Air-lift is made by Firestone so it really is just a matter of name branding.

legomybago

I put the red bags if front of our 1986 p30, and it has air bags on the rear axle, we run all at 70 pounds, and it makes a huge differance on handling down the road.
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

ClydesdaleKevin

My newish blue Firestones have had a leak on the passenger side around the brass ferule where it goes into the air bag...not the valve itself, but between the brass and the rubber...since day one.  I've fixed it once already with Slime, and it held for half a year, and started its slow leak again.  Going to try the Slime one more time, and then replace them if it doesn't hold up.  Probably go with the same brand, since I always seem to get the lemon and then the replacement is always good (Like my Powermax Boondocker...seems like it was the only one to EVER fail, and the new onc they sent me is going strong years later...lol!). 

But might go with Airlift since the Firestones leak on me.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

legomybago

Thats what was in ours..the blue bags..they both leaked badly..have no idea how old they were though Hm?
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy