left handed lugs...?

Started by Old Man Powell, April 01, 2014, 08:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Man Powell

So I'm working on the brakes. The passenger front side went great. Got the wheel off myself which surprised me. Installed new brake line, caliper and pads. Actually, that caliper waqs easier to get off than a lot of cars I've worked on.\

So, I go to do the driver side. Cannot get the lugs to break free. I've got like 7 feet of pry bar with two grown men hanging off of it. Finally it starts turning. Long story short, the nut strips out. What the hell. Get on her this moring and find a post discussing left handed threads on the driver side front wheel. Well, that would explain why my lug nuts are labeled "right" and "left." Boy is my face red.

now my question is... "Where the heck do I get a new stud and lug nut?" been searching but haven't been able to find one. Gonna take Rooster to a shop to have the stripped nut cut off. I'm assuming they can probably get one but just in case I'd like to find one myself.

My bidy and head hurts after this one!!!!

ibdilbert01

Your local NAPA can order them.
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

Old Man Powell

They should... but I'm not real impressed with the guys at my local NAPA. Might try a different store. Not as "hands on"  as they used to be. 

DaveVA78Chieftain

Left handed Nut - Dodge P/N 585193; NAPA TWD WA2007
Left handed Stud - Dodge P/N 3640125
Atascosa lists the P/N but you would have to e-mail (parts@atascosa.com) them to see if they have one.

Right handed Nut - Dodge P/N 585192; NAPA NOE 64143121
Right handed Stud - Dodge P/N 3640124
Arizona Parts says they have 2 in stock.  Would work if all else fails

Dave
[move][/move]

Oz

Here's one of the biggest benefits of being in this bunch... you can go to get parts fully armed with the right info!  Talk about saving time, money & headaches...
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Old Man Powell

you ain't kidding! It's poeple like Dave that keep people like me sane! If I wasn't already bald he would keep me from fulling my hair out.

Old Man Powell

Dave... any chance you happen to know the Dorman number for either the left or hand handed studs? There have a few that are 3/4-16 but different lengths and knurl sizes. I don't have the old one out yet and I would love to be able to order a replacement before I take it out. No biggie...

DaveVA78Chieftain

Sorry I have no clue what the number would be.  Your stuck with just having to remove one and match it I believe.
Best I can do is show what Dorman has available in the size:
Dorman 3/4-16 Studs

Dave
[move][/move]

Old Man Powell

Cool... no problem. Just thought I would give it a shot. Like you said, I'll take it out and size up a new one. As usual, thanks!

legomybago

Don't miss beating those in on our dump trucks.....
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

Old Man Powell

Sounds like a grand time...

Elandan2

I was getting the front tire replaced the motorhome about 10 years ago at a truck tire shop.  They were working on it outside and I was watching the progress.  After removing the passenger side, he moved on to the drivers side and was just hammering away with a two handed impact gun that looked like it should be breaking up sidewalks.  I walked up to him and tapped him on the shoulder and quietly said, "left hand thread".  Never seen someone turn red so quickly.  Thankfully, no damage was done.  Rick
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

legomybago

Before anyone looses there head and knuckles trying to remove a left hand threaded wheel lug, look at the rear lugs and thimbles, you will see an "L" stamped on the end of the thimble, "R" for right, not sure on the top of my head where the fronts are labeled though, but you may see an L stamped on the lug itself. Of coarse these are all coated in layers of 40+ years of paint!! I purchased an old rig that had this, and the previous owner bent the heavy steel lug wrench that came with rig, when I looked at the bent spare tire changing gear in disbelief, he said him and his son where standing on it trying to break the lugs loose....they never got it off. I showed him the "L", and he shook his head.

brians1969

What years did Chrysler do the left handed lugs?

SLEETH

was quite normal for dodge in the 50s to use left hand lugs

beaverman

DaveVA78Chieftain

Class A chassis did not use left hand threads.  Not sure about Class C though.
[move][/move]

legomybago

The rig I talked about earlier with left hand lugs was a 1978 28' Dodge chassis Diplomat II? Class A. I think M500?? idk

RANGERRICK

I have the hex head nuts but none of the square head nuts.I also may have the studs you need .The studs i have are 2-1/4 long x 5/8.All left hand threads.
Send me a email and i can send some pics.

SLEETH

I had a class A with left hand studs=changed out now

brians1969

kb2crk

Quote from: DaveVA78Chieftain on March 29, 2016, 05:57 PM
Class A chassis did not use left hand threads.  Not sure about Class C though.

Dave
My 76 Class A has left handed thread on the drivers side. Front and rear.