Will 413-1 Headers fit 440-3?

Started by JCMAC, March 31, 2014, 03:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JCMAC

I have Doug Thorly headers on my RB413-1 engine ['72 D222C]

Now I may have to replace the engine... :'(    probably for a RB440-3.  I called Doug Thorly and they said the headers would fit the 440 also.
Comments?

John

UK-Winnie

From what I know of passenger car engines they will swap between 413 and 440.  I don't know about motor home engines specifically except I think the external dimensions are the same so if that's right it seems to me they should swap OK.
Steve
........nostalgia is not what it used to be

Froggy1936

MAC ? If the manufacturer said they would fit why are you asking the question ? Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

Stripe

Quote from: Froggy1936 on March 31, 2014, 07:28 PM
MAC ? If the manufacturer said they would fit why are you asking the question ? Frank

Frank, I bet it's for the same reason I do the same thing sometimes.  I trust the folks here and even though a mechanic might tell me something, hearing it from a few more trusted friends is just ICING ON DA CAKE!!  :D
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

Stripe

Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

JCMAC

Because..... others say the exhaust manifold stud pattern is different (straight vs. staggered).  I thought some one might have run across this problem and would know positively!
  It also matters in that I have to choose between the 413 and 440 motors due the expensive headers.

John

DaveVA78Chieftain

413 Exhaust manifold gasget (MS9705B)

440 Exhaust manifold gasket (MS90029)

I believe the correct answer is NO.

Dave
[move][/move]

M & J

M & J

UK-Winnie

So the 413 rv heads are different from the car ones; I never knew. 

I just googled it and it looks like you can still bolt your 413 heads onto a 440 block, if that makes a way to go.  It would probably increase the compression (which might be a good thing as it seems the 413 m/h engines have an outrageously low compression ratio).

Also that way your existing big water pump can be retained - if that helps.

It looks like you would also need to use the 413 push rods as the rockers are set higher in the 413 heads.

Apparently also some of the rv style 413s have a different number of bolts on the crank flange - so I guess that also needs checking before trying to put a 440 in its place, and whether the balance is different, unless the 440 comes with its own plate and converter.

Oz

Yes they are.  Completely covered topic, with pictures and details.   A lot of work but according to the member who did the swap.  A very good read!

http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php/topic,7891.msg37722.html#msg37722

As for the original topic.  That appears to be solved.

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

legomybago

That is a really good set up!! Excellent cooling with a little more ponies :)clap
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

UK-Winnie

Quote from: Mark S on April 01, 2014, 10:33 AM

As for the original topic.  That appears to be solved.

It was just the remaining problem of not being able to use the 413 headers on the planned 440, which is why I wondered about bolting the 413 heads on there as well. 

Anyway, obviously I should first have tried a search right here instead of searching the entire internet - benefits of hindsight and all that.

JCMAC

Dave,
  Thanks. you are right - not the same.  Looks like the shop will opt to rebuild the existing motor, then everything will fit.  One piston/cylinder is down to 70 psi  Hm?   Stock was 130 psi and Dodge says 100 psi minimum, and it was starting to blow oil into the air cleaner  $@!#@! .
  O well, it is just money......

John