My emergency brake needs adjustment

Started by Thundercloud, March 28, 2014, 03:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thundercloud

The hand brake on my rig needs a severe adjustment. On its not even doing crapola. It was like that when I bought it. Anyone ever have to adjust there's? I've done it before on a couple four wheel drives but never on a class A M-500 chassis motorhome. Any helpful tips or your experience would be most valueable. Thanks
Independence, freedom and determination!!!

Stripe

Go look up under your rig, if your parking/hand brake system is anything like mine was on my '77 M500 there will be a metal donut looking thing that looks like it is getting uncomfortably familiar with the driveshaft. ???

Here is a picture of a similar system.

Yours could be one of two systems
!: External, Contracting as in this example.

Or
2: Internal, Expanding.  As in this example.

Either way, both are relatively easy to work on.

When mine froze up, I disconnected the cable, sprayed lubricant down the cable shaft. and worked the cable back and forth until it moved freely. Then reattached the cable.  Worked fine after that. 

The Internal, Expanding system works just like a wheels' drum brake. The top pic is a Internal, Expanding brake.

BTW, Autozone actually has a guide on working on them. Here is a link to that..:  http://www.autozone.com/autozone/repairguides/Chrysler-Full-Size-Trucks-1967-1988-Repair-Guide/PARKING-BRAKE/Cables/_/P-0900c15280052f47

Anyway, hope that helps..
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

Thundercloud

I will do that when the sun comes up. Who knows maybe I will make some friends with some spiders. Was it like a buckle type adjuster? I'm sure I will see it. Just haven't spent much time down there.

Ok. I saw the pictures you sent. This might help other people too. I don't want to rely on my parking paw in the transmission. Its hard on it. I will be like the guy on the movie RV.
Independence, freedom and determination!!!

legomybago

Just remember....the spiders are more afraid of you, than you are of them!!! ahahahahaha
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

Mental72

Thanks for this post, I have a '72 with M300 chassis, and among other problems I'm fixing, the parking brake dosen't do squat. This is great information, thank you.
Don't mess with Iowa farmboys....we're a special breed.

Froggy1936

Tip: On the internal expanding type, There is a door on the frt of the backing plate held in place by 2 bolts, Remove 1 and loosen the other to swing door open , There is a star wheel inside (that adj just like a GM rear brake adjuster Before self adjusting type)  With rear wheels suspended , Turn star wheel till drive shaft (make sure trans is in neutral and frt wheels blocked fore and aft) Will not turn then back off star wheel till no rubbing can be heard and drum is free (tapping on backing plate will center shoes as you back off adj ) dont go too far . If there is any cable adj at either end it can now be adj to bring lever up (if there is still to much travel ) Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.