How to combat spider invasion

Started by Thundercloud, March 27, 2014, 02:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thundercloud

I live on a resort so I've been parked a while I take it out and turn the drivetrain etc. every few months but I live in the country and normal spiders are still creepy but I have a lot of blackwidow spiders trying to not only live with me but breed. I'm a grown man so I shouldn't be a sissy right? But I had blackwidow sneak inside and it was right over my head. I also am dealing with wolf spiders. I've been laying in bed on a few ocasions and I feel them crawling on me so I jump up and go for the light switch and 6 out of ten times I usually kill them. The other ones are plotting revenge on me! Lol. I grew up in the country but I've never seen spiders so fierce. I know there's a spray you can put on your tires but Id just like to hear your guys input on this creepy crawler issue and if any of you have figured out any ways of teaching them to keep away. Thanks! Now I am doing the spider dance :)rotflmao
Independence, freedom and determination!!!

Stripe

I feel your pain.  I was FINE with spiders myself, that was until I deployed to Iraq for the first time.  That was when I encountered CAMEL SPIDERS! 

NOT A FAN! ???

Now I have problems with all sorts of spiders..

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Spider-Repellent-at-Home   <----- Check this out..
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

Thundercloud

Woooooooooooo! Those give me nightmares!!!!!! I watched a documentary on those sons of beeeeeee :)rotflmaop!!!!!!!

Thundercloud

Spiders hate the smell of citris especially. There taste buds are on there legs! Mix some lemon dish soap with a little orange juice and spray away!!!!

Thundercloud

Or you can spice them out with vine :)ThmbUpgar and chili pepper juice.

Stripe

You're liking those remedies I take it?  :)
Fredric,

M & J

Bomb them. But not aerosol ones. Find a smoke bomb made by Raid. The smoke particles are much finer than mist droplets and the smoke permeates places better. Plus theres no prep, except for removing yourself and pets. Then after ventilating, theres no cleanup like you have with the misting bombs. Pull the battery from your smoke detector and open all internal doors and panels. May take a couple times a week apart - black widows are hard to kill. $11.00 gets you 3 cans. We use them throughout the house and when opening up the coach in the spring.
M & J

Lefty

http://www.livescience.com/40025-camel-spiders-facts.html

Some Excerpts... (btw- These are the REAL facts about the Camel Spider. And it's still a nightmare creature)

"Camel spiders can reach up to six inches (15 cm) in length and weigh about two ounces"   --That's as big as a very large Tarantula...

"Camel spiders are carnivores. They eat other bugs, lizards, small birds and rodents." That's right... THIS "spider" can kill and eat small birds!

"Compared to other arachnids, camel spiders are speedy. They can run up to 10 miles per hour." --An average human walks at around 3-4mph... and runs at about 7-10mph.. Olympic sprinters can hit about 25mph... In other words, THIS thing can run as fast as you!

"When a human runs, the camel spider will chase the shadow. If a human stands still, the camel spider will, too, enjoying the cool." --I DON'T CARE!!! I DON'T WANT THIS THING IN MY SHADE!!!

Btw- The picture above of the two camel Spiders is a realistic perspective of size... most internet pictures of them try to make them look like they are up to three feet long... which is fake. In the shot above, you can clearly tell that the "spiders are roughly the same size as the soldiers hand... which would make it about 4" to 6" in length.  THAT'S ONE BIG CRITTER!
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

Shalydra

Powdered borax is my favored anti-exoskeleton wearing pest control. isn't pretty but it works. I have it along the edges of my floor, backs of cabinets, windowsills. sweep it up and re-apply once a month or so in spring summer-fall and one application does me good for all winter. The powder clogs the resperation pores in the exoskeletons and kills anything crawling through it. It also forms a petsafe barrier that confuses scent trails of certain insects  and stops them following oneanother into the doom. For outside my rig i've a friend that washes me down once a season with water and dr. bronner's soap. since I can't handle anything with more than 6 legs without spazzing and this area has tailed and tailless scorpians as well as many other species of arachnid. I also have a friend on speed dial who drops everything to come over and kill anything that gets through my other defenses.

Stripe

The upside is that you can also use borax to smelt impurities out of aluminum..
Fredric,

M & J

And to put 20 mule teams to work.
M & J

Stripe

Quote from: Shalydra on April 27, 2014, 08:23 PM
i've a friend that washes me down once a season with water and dr. bronner's soap.
Uhh, Waitaminit...  What?? ???
Fredric,

TerryH

Aging myself I guess. As soon as I saw
"borax "
it brought to mind the model of the 20 mule team I had as a younger person.
"And to put 20 mule teams to work"
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

Oz

I know, right!?  Haven't heard that brand name in decades.  Didn't even know if it was still around.  I can vaguely remember that commercial too.  Thanks for giving CPR to those old-memory brain cells!
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca