Sad reminder for propane and carbon monoxide detectors

Started by gadgetman, March 25, 2014, 11:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gadgetman

M & J

So sad. I take the batteries out our smoke and carbon monoxide detectors when we winterize Betty.
I leave the tops on the counter to remind me to put fresh batteries when we prep her for summer.
The gas detector is hard wired to the coach batts.
M & J

Froggy1936

This past winter when the power went out And i was running the generator in the Winnebago to power the house, The CO alarm was sounding off (in the R/V) so i removed it Cause :Generator exaust was getting in to the R/V  No one was in there at that time so no biggie but i will have to check on why it happened . The exaust on the gen is solid. I have a stack that carries the exaust above the roof but did not install it . When i used the Generator in Texas during the power outage From Hurricane IKE I did install it because it was parked between two houses and windows were open Alarm did not sound that time ! Haveing worked at a New car dealer in the 50,s I have suffered from co posioning . Can remember stopping on the way home to throw up and haveing severe headaches  . In the Winter time when all the doors were closed and there was no exaust syestem in the building . CO poisioning is very dangerous because it replaces the oxygen in the blood stream with CO  wich takes a wile (if you dont die first) to recycle with fresh oxygen . I replace smoke detectors (2 of) and CO detector batterys ea season Propane detector is hard wired to house batterys . Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

Weblamer

I need one of these, however I am very hard of hearing and cannot hear these alarms beeping. I wonder if they sell a flashing one.

cosmic

I would wonder if you could open it up and connect a led light right to the wires going to the alarm, or beeper.
don't know how that would wake you up from a deep sleep. You should still get one. even if the alarm woke up the person beside you so to say.

joanfenn

moonlitcoyote

Froggy1936

There ya go Strobe light warning syestems For Fire and CO . That KOA is right next door to the Two Rivers Campground i stayed at when i visited Nashville for the Moose convention a couple years ago . Frank

ClydesdaleKevin

I bet you could easily train a dog to alert you when he/she hears the alarm.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Stripe

My prayers go out to the families involved.
Yes kevin, you can train a dog to do that.  And it is SO easy.  You just need a little patience at first and then it's all easy from there..
You just gave me some inspiration Kev..  Just gotta figure out the protocols. Final response is easy..
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

circleD

Yes they make smoke detectors with strobes but have to get from a special place. They also have ones that are wireless and and vibrate for deaf people to put them in their pillows to wake them for fires. You could just tap into the buzzer with some blinking LEDs because the extra power draw isn't going to matter. 9 volts is the standard but the 3 AA will last longer than a 9 volt battery due to the milli amps.

Stripe

Fredric,

skodacanada

What do you guys recommend for a propane detector?

There seems to be lots of well reviewed battery powered carbon monoxide detectors, and some well reviewed carbon monoxide/explosive gas/LP flush mounted wired in detectors, but the only examples of the latter with batteries have terrible reviews for false positives. Any suggestions?

Stripe

Good question.  When I Googled "Battery powered LPG detector" I got more links to UK, Indian and Chinese sites than I did USA links..  How sad is that?

EDIT: Changed search to "RV LPG Leak detector"
Here is a link to what ebay has to offer..
http://www.ebay.com/bhp/rv-lp-detector
Fredric,

Mental72

I get all excited about the things I want, like solar, interfacing with all my computers, power levelers, but sometimes I forget about the things I NEED, like a CO2 detector, smoke alarms, fire extinquishers (spell checker's off, so you'll have to bear with me...), and the like. So very sad these two had to pass, but maybe if one of us remembers to either put up a unit or replace the batteries in the ones we have, it won't be for naught.
Don't mess with Iowa farmboys....we're a special breed.

xerofall

What should the average RV-er get? An LP detector? A CO detector? Or both? (combo)

Froggy1936

Just choose wich way you would rather die ! Or get BOTH !!!! D:oH! Frank

Stripe

I think XF was being sarcastic. (I hope) If not, the CO is just in case your getting exhaust in your RV, The LP detector in case you have a Liquid Propane leak.  I have two CO detectors and I need to get a LP leak detector next..
I scored the CO detectors free on CL..
Fredric,

joanfenn

xerofall

Quote from: Froggy1936 on June 08, 2014, 02:59 PMJust choose wich way you would rather die ! Or get BOTH !!!! D:oH!  Frank

I have seen both individually and in a combo... so I'm assuming there's a reason to buy them individually.

Quote from: Stripe on June 08, 2014, 11:01 PM
I think XF was being sarcastic...

I wasn't being sarcastic. I do not have a generator, so I cannot see what else would be making CO. I just wasn't clear.

TerryH

I do not have a generator, so I cannot see what else would be making CO.
[/quote]

Fridge, stove, oven, water heater, BBQ, furnace, engine running to charge batteries.
Basically anything that runs on fossil fuel, regardless of where it is and how it is vented.
Terry
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

xerofall

Quote from: TerryH on June 09, 2014, 01:35 AM
Fridge, stove, oven, water heater, BBQ, furnace, engine running to charge batteries.
Basically anything that runs on fossil fuel, regardless of where it is and how it is vented.
Terry

Okay, that makes sense... I was a little confused at why they sold them individually and in a combo... made me think there was a reason.

Elandan2

I think a combination unit is a compromise.  LP gas is heavier than air so it will pool near the floor, so the sensor should be near the floor.  On the other hand, carbon monoxide is lighter than air so the sensor should be mounted up higher, I believe they recommend about 60" above the floor.  I'm thinking that two separate units are the way to go.  Rick
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

Stripe

Don't forget the possibility of other campers who may be nearby running there generators as well..
Fredric,