Refrigerator Door Seal replacement

Started by Stripe, March 20, 2014, 10:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moonlitcoyote

The magnetic rubber seal on my fridge (RM3800) is torn in places and not creating a good seal on the door. Does anyone know where I can find the part and "how" do I get the old one off? I looked at it quite closely but couldn't tell how it was attached and didn't want to tear it anymore than it already is in case I cant replace it.
Thank you
Moonlitcoyote

Pic of the damage

Here is a link and instructions on finding it, was hoping there were less expensive units out there.

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-refrigerators/rv-refrigerator-parts-instr.htm
Enter parts siteSelect Refridgerator from Category drop down
Expand Dometic
Scroll down to RM3800 and expand itselect door
go to page 2Gasket Kit

moonlitcoyote

Stripe

Yours is almost the same as mine, I will look to see how to remove it.
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

pvoth1111

We call our coach "Charlie Brown"

Stripe

Do not just go pulling on the gasket. It's part of the whole inner door panel.  Just blatantly pulling on the gasket could rip the whole panel off and possibly break the plastic.

The Gasket itself stretches around the whole panel and part of it is behind the panel edges and glued.
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

moonlitcoyote

well if I just pull it out how would I get the new one in? There must be a correct way to take it off, if it is behind the panel and glued then I will need to get to the other side of the panel in order to glue a new one in

pvoth1111

pull it.....the new one don't glue on...if you have to glue it yer fridge is junked up

moonlitcoyote

Anyone else have any ideas on the correct way to remove the magnetic strip?

pvoth1111

It just gently pulls off.....I have one cheap....for a norcold....if that's what you have.....it gently pulls off

moonlitcoyote

mine is a dometic and I have tried gently pulling but it does not seem to pull off

pvoth1111

what are the dimensions of yer old one....mine was a norcold....I would hook you up with mine...uber cheap if it will fit....it still has to come off none the less.....once you get it started it will come right out there man..

moonlitcoyote

I'm still looking for an answer to HOW to remove the old seal if anyone has any new information.

Elandan2

Oh, I know this one!!  To get the gasket off, you have to take the door frame apart, then the gasket will come out quite easily.  I had to take mine out when I lost a half gallon of milk while traveling.  The milk got in between the gasket and the door itself.  What a mess.  Rick
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

M & J

Can you post clearer pictures MJ? The one is too dark to see much detail.
M & J