transmission not shifting into drive

Started by dboy5920, March 10, 2014, 05:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dboy5920

Well, after fixing my lights I drove to walmart, mainly to just check everything out. This is my first trip (more than 20 miles) since finishing the remodel, overhaul of this Winny. Everything went fine on the trip to Walmart but on the way home it would not shift from second to drive. Any Ideas? I checked the fluid and it is right on the mark. A quick fact to know, this Winny sat in a couples yard for about 6 years or longer before me saving her from the scrap yard. Yes, that is how I acquired her the couple wanted to give it to someone to scrap it, I showed up and seen I was in despair but not that bad, after ridding the rat nests, a fresh battery and a shot of fresh fuel I drove this beast home (SLOWLY). Well a year later here I am. Back to the tranny any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks 

Stripe

Not sure about that year vehicle, but I know  long time ago I had the same problem with a car, it turned out that a vacuum hose had come loose from the tranny.
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

Froggy1936

Most likely the kickdown linkage from the carbuerator to the transmission has stuck partially in kickdown position Lots of penetrant then motor oil on all linkage,s shoud cure it A stuck governor is next but highly unlikely  Or shifter is in second gear position Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

burt6666

Vacuum modulator on trans might be faulty (if it has one)

Stripe

So I could have been on the right track?
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

legomybago

No vacuum modulator on a 727. Make sure your throttle shift linkage is adjusted correctly (it controls your shift points) if it is, then you could have valve body issues possibly? You can adjust the bands also.. Hm?
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

M & J

M & J

UK-Winnie

No LOL as per Legomybago - line pressure demand on 904 and 727 is not vacuum controlled.

What Froggy said about kick-down is def. a possible explanation - I had that on my '63 Chrysler 300, but if it's that, ie. the kick-down that's stuck, then in normal driving it will also stay in 1st for way too long before shifting to 2nd, so if it's not doing that then probably not k/d stuck and then I would start with gear selector linkage.

........nostalgia is not what it used to be

dboy5920

thanks for all the suggestions I don't know what I did I cleaned all linkages and oiled them and is working fine now. thanks a lot

Oz

Excellent!  Beats having to get another cable!

:)clap
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

UK-Winnie

It's a great feeling when something simple fixes it - especially when you did the simple thing first  :)ThmbUp
........nostalgia is not what it used to be

TheSportsmanDodger

make sure your shifter is not kinked, if it is not try testing the modulator, if still found fine in proper condition, make your way to the dip stick of your tranny. warm her up pull her stick out, analize the color, texture, and smell.

light red = fresh.
dark red no smell to light smell= still in good condition.
burnt toast smell  = worn out fluid/ overheating service required asap.
bloody dark red/flaky fluid= fried tranny clutch material.

cosmic