Flexsteel Electrically adjustable seat Fuses location and Wiring Tutorial PART 1

Started by Stripe, March 05, 2014, 04:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stripe

Flexsteel Electrically adjustable seat Fuses location and Wiring Tutorial PART 1 of 3

In the next three segments I am going to show you all the location of the fuses and the color coordination for the Flexsteel Powered Driver seat.

For the most part the wiring of the board and the location of the THREE BUSS fuses is the same for all make Coaches.  The thermal fuse will most likely be in a different location but not too far from the seat itself I'll wager.

To find the fuses rotate the seat to face the doghouse. Go outside the Rv and open the drivers' door to easily follow the wires UP to the fuse block.

As you can see the wires are easy to follow.

The fuse block is located right up under the back of the seat. As shown in the photo.

As you can see it's mounted on the crossbar directly under the cushion in the back of the seat.  Just lift the skirt and look up..  :-[ :angel:
If any of these are blown it will cause one part of the controls to not work. All blown = non op.

Part Two is going to be locating the THERMAL FUSE.

Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

Stripe

Flexsteel Electrically adjustable seat Fuses location and Wiring Tutorial PART 2 of 3

On most Holiday Ramblers of the 80's you will find the thermal fuse located in the House Battery Compartment located below and just behind the drivers' door.

Mine lock. Don't know if yours does but this is where you will find the thermal fuse for the seat.

Here is a look inside.

As you can see I replaced my bad thermal with a new one. Took minor modification to connector wires by adding shovel connectors to connect to the spades of the fuse.  (yep, I called it a shovel.. )

Here is a Photo of the old fuse.

This burned out on me. It's probably the original too..

NEXT: Part Three, the switch connector block.

Fredric,

Stripe

Flexsteel Electrically adjustable seat Fuses location and Wiring Tutorial PART 3 of 3

The seat connector block and wires.

Here is a photo of my switch block.

Hope yours is similar.

Here is the Connector block that pulls out from the switch from inside.  Be sure to disconnect power before doing any of this.

This is the side that connects to the pins. Please make note of the colors for future reference.

Here is the backside of the block.

When replacing the connector make sure is is properly aligned before re-energizing with power.If you have a flexible inspection mirror that helps a bundle.

Well, I hope this helps some of you out there that have this chair and have been having electrical problems.
I will post some how to's and what to look for's in a future post.
Fredric,

HandyDan

So that's what that fuse goes to!  Nice to know.  Ever so often I have to push the connector under the seat back in place.  The years have not been kind to the plastic and it doesn't stay seated as well as it should.  Good info to know. Thanks.
Dan
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

DaveVA78Chieftain

The proper term is self resetting Circuit breaker.  A fuse can only open once and it is dead for life.  A circuit breaker can be reset.

Dave
[move][/move]

TripleJ

this is perfectly timed, as my newly acquired project has an inop seat. however I was actually considering getting rid of the flexsteel seat altogether. it seems to b ridiculously oversized, and makes it a chore to get in and around the front seat area.

I thought it should be simple enough to find a van or truck replacement that would be a little more supportive and properly sized... am I going to miss that big seat when I eventually get this thing on the hiway?
'85 Holiday Rambler Presidential '28

HandyDan

I've been thinking of the same thing.  The flexsteel just doesn't fit me right.  The back slants back too much and isn't adjustable.  And, as TripleJ said, it is a hassle to get around to sit in the seat.  I would like a leather seat out of a Suburban or Tahoe.  A 1994 model had arm rests built in.  Or, it might be nice to find one with the shoulder belt built in.
Dan

1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

Stripe

Dan, that plastic block is openable. Mine had the same problem with coming loose. That is why I had such a hard time trying to find a wire diagram for hat seat a few months ago. NEVER found one.  What happened was I opened the block before taking pic or writing down where the wires went and all the wires popped out. Putting them in the right spot was difficult but not impossible. Most had a bend or straight that matched a hole.

My point is that you can open the block and pinch the connector on the wires ever so slightly and they will fit snugly once again.
TripleJ, I've been perusing Craigslist for replacement seats as well. Came real close a couple times but some one else was faster than me.  I nearly got new leather lounge seats that way for free. The seat mount on the RV is adjustable to fit most seats.  And I still get to keep the power adjustment.

Nobodysoldlady, that s why I put this post up. I saw your pics and read about your problem. Your motor might still be okay. Just don't try to hold the switches down too long when adjusting your seat. That is when the motor gets feedback and heats up the lines and pops the thermal fuse.

Dave, wouldn't a thermal breaker, while technically not a fuse (although I have seen them listed as a thermal limiter fuse), still be considered self resetting?? W%
Fredric,

DaveVA78Chieftain

They use a bi-metal strip that bends due to heat so either term, thermal breaker or auto resetting CB, could be used.   I use the term auto resetting CB because that is the normal parts house name.

A furnace or hot water heater thermostat works the same way so it too could be considered a auto resetting thermal breaker however it's normal function is to open and close the circuit at a given room temperature set point.

However the ECO (hi water temp) or the Therm Cut-off switch (propane flame flue blocked resulting in flame going out intake tube) in a DSI hot water tank are both thermal fuses (use once and physically replace).

As you can see, different names for devices that all work off heat but their functional end goal is different depending on what type of protection the device is intended perform.

The one you replaced in the seat was a current limiting device (CB) that was auto resetting.

Dave
[move][/move]

Stripe

Yay! We ALL win! :D

I am going to measure the bolt pattern for the seat mount.  Not that it needs it but just in case one needs to know these things. That and to sorta keep on topic.  I hate it when I hijack my own thread.. W%

Wait, the thermal thingy is sorta on topic, yeah? ???
Fredric,

Oz

Excellent write-up, Fredric!  Nothing worse than having to really pay the piper to fix something like this.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

TripleJ

TripleJ

Also for what its worth, I have some of the original documentation from flexsteel in my stack of stuff. I mightcould be able to copy it for somebody that wants it... tho its probably not as helpful as this write up when it comes down to it

Stripe

Wow, TripleJ thanks for that awesome compliment. And the rest of you as well.. :D Thanks!
Fredric,