1971 Winnebago D20RD-Need pictures of rear dinette cushions.

Started by lylescott719, February 04, 2014, 04:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lylescott719

Hi everyone! I am the newest proud owner of a classic Winnebago. It is a 1971 D-20RD. I purchased this over the weekend, and it is mostly intact and runs so far. However the previous owner who bought it, took all the rear cushions out because he intended to turn it into a taco truck. His funds ran slim in the conversion process, so they decided to get rid of it. I need to get pictures of what the cushion placement looked like in this rear dinette model, and I cant find any online so far. The brochure online doesnt give a good idea of how they look, or placement. Any help please and thank you!

JDxeper

Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

Stripe

Does the RD mean Rear Dinette?  I think it's a "Brave" too right ??? ?
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

lylescott719

Yes this is the Brave model, and the RD stands for rear dinette. It has a L shape with a single rear seat with a table that folds into the wall. The previous owner took cushions out, and their dog ate them, so there is no foam, no covers, no idea how they even went in. I have looked at the pictures in the link you suggested (thank you), but there is not enough information in the illustration to give me a clear idea.

Stripe

Do me/us a favor if you can.  photograph the dinette area as best you can and post them here.  Please.. :)
Fredric,

lylescott719

tiinytina

The cushions basically just sit into those spaces so simply measure length and width. You can purchase foam at most fabric stores in 4"-8" thickness... so measurements for sides where there is a corner deduct width from one.  Fabric of your choosing.  I also made "slip" covers using big bath towels that I can easily pop off and wash when needed.

In Gone I used industrial adhesive velcro strips mounted on the back and bottom of seating and sewn to the back of the cushion covers to keep them in place while driving.
Tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

lylescott719

Thank you, however the information I truly need is the sizes and proper placement as to when everything is folded out, it makes into a bed...ie..which cushions fill the void(back cushions, seat cushions?). Is the rear cushion the longest? Or is it the side cushion that is running front to back? The top cusion when you sit down and your back rests against, are they cut at different lengths to fill the void when you slide out the extender to make the bed? I dont mean to be confusing, I hope this clears what I am asking. Hopefully someone out there has this model and can just send me a picture.

tiinytina

From what I've seen... your two biggest will be the rear wall and rear seat.  third big one will run along wall passenger side, Next seat on passenger side wall which will butt up against front edge of the rear seat cushion. The single seat is just its own thing.  bottom biggest, then back.. I wouldn't think the drivers side wall of that would need one since there is an access door there anyway. Can't scroll back to double check. 

I would then think that once pulled out the bottom of rear stays in place, rear back goes next to it, passenger side back next to that then fill in blanks with the rest.  Like putting together a puzzle.  The only RD unit i've been in had the table orientated from the back to front from the rear not on the side. 
Tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

Stripe

Here are some drawings I made of how I believe the setup should be done.
Mind you, they are a bit rough, my drawing skills went to pot after my TBI..

Here is the floor plan with cushions in place as seats.

A quick note about the possibility of a second board used as part of the bed.

A side view of the rear cushions as a seat..

My interpretation as to how the cushions would be arranged, including the possibility of that second board.

If there is no second board then I would just ignore the sections covered by the passenger and driver side cushions..

Fredric,

M & J

That has to be the BEST artists rendition of foam I have ever seen..
M & J

lylescott719

Thank you all for your help. The drawings are very similar to what I came up with. And I must say those drawings are really good! We were hoping someone would have pictures of theirs to share to also help. We will do the math and see what works better for us, either new foam and doing the sewing ourselves or just buying lawn chair padding sets and just puzzling them in.

Stripe

I would go for the "Pride in Ownership" route and buy foam and do the sewing meself.  But that's just me, I like sewing. A lot..

Keep in mind you may be able to find the foam and or fabric(Maybe Old Curtains??) cheap or free on Craigs' List or a Goodwill or equivalent..

And Thanks for the compliments.. :D

Fredric,

LJ-TJ

Hm? Did you ever consider looking through T.J.'s For sale list to see if you could find one like yours with pic's of the interior. N:(

lylescott719

LJ-TJ

joev

lylescott719

That would be the closest picture I have seen! Thank you so much!! I did some checking on the price of foam and was completely caught off guard. The price for just the bottom cushions, no fabric, was $375.00!!! Medium density foam, 5" thick. Uhmmm, going to have to try and do something different. I believe in "pride of ownership", but I also want to use it and fix other things since this is a new project to us.

DaveVA78Chieftain

Maybe  a trip to goodwill for a used couch to steal the cushions?
[move][/move]

joev

you could find some foam matteress at a good will and use that foam or look in used furniture store or maybe you can get new foam matteress on sale seen some for $50 on line  just need to do a little digging

LJ-TJ

Yep don't be to quick to buy foam. Goodwill, SallyAnn. Find an old couch in decent condition and grab the cushions off it for free. i??

Stripe

"Keep in mind you may be able to find the foam and or fabric(Maybe Old Curtains??) cheap or free on Craigs' List or a Goodwill or equivalent.."
Fredric,

cosmic

google
Winnebago brochure and the year. you can see the set up. colour selection and so on.

DaveVA78Chieftain

In case you have problems trying to figure out how to see thie pic joev posted (reply 16)

Dave

[move][/move]

lylescott719

Ok, after some debating and not knowing if we would find the same pattern and over all cost, we found a company that has a huge selection of patterns and sizes of outdoor patio furniture pads. We have one small void to fill in which we will just buy one more large pad, cut it to fit, and resew the material to make it work. Whatcha all think?