Redneck Engineering FAIL!

Started by Old Man Powell, April 07, 2014, 09:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Man Powell

So, I noticed the fuel fill line for the auxillary tank was wrapped in duck tape... gooey and nasty. Took the tape off and the line was beginning to collapse. Long story short, someone used two sections of radiator hose connected with a piece of ehxaust pipe to "rebuild" the fill line to the tank. The inside of the hose was obviously eaten away by the gas. Rubber was gone and all that was really left was the "fabric" of the hose. What the hell?!?!?! A quick trip to Napa and 30 minutes later it was fixed properly. Might explain the horrible looking coating on the generator spark plugs. Wow! Just when I thought i had seen it all!

Now I get to focus on the dash wiring. Someone went to town on the wiring. Never seen so much crappy splicing and rigging. Could of fried wires. Thank God I was able to get the wiring diagram off of this site. Of course, anytime I look at a wiring diagram I piss my pants and forget my name. Mind blowing. I can look at a part print any day... but hate wiring diagrams. Lucky that is my neighbor's expertise. Gonna be a long process... one wire at a time!

ibdilbert01

Ethanol  + rubber = goo...     ;)
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

legomybago

Seems like a lot of these older rigs get "redneck engineering" fixes when on the road (quick fixes)....but never get the proper repair after the rig is back home?? So many discoveries on this forum remind me of that Hm?  Most of us here are the people who get to fix um!! And that to me is what makes this forum so great.
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

Old Man Powell

I think you are right... emergency fix that never gets properly resolved later on. It's fun to find and correct... but also gets old after a while! Keeps the mind sharp, I guess. My teo biggest "pet peeves"... screwed up wiring and vacuum lines! Headache!