Salton ID1401, 300-1800 watt Induction Cooktop Hotplate.

Started by Stripe, February 25, 2014, 05:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stripe

Wow.  I never used one of these before and let me say, I LIKEY!
Had water boiling in just under a minute!?
Made my pasta and sauce with artichoke hearts on this thing and did it quickly.
Got my unit at Costco for US$50 plus tax. Normally $59.99 they had an extra display unit that was still brand new and of course I made sure to ask if I coud return it if I didn't like it and they said yes. So saving $9 bucks was worth it.

Here is a link to the same unit on ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Salton-ID1401-Portable-Induction-Cooktop-1400W-with-Induction-Tester-Magnet-/200972072813?_trksid=p2054897.l4276

Upsides I would say for RV use is its small footprint, it cools down nearly instantly and has an auto safety shutoff avoiding or reducing the chance of a heat injury to oneself or a fire hazard.

The downside is the necessity of induction compatible cookware. But as Saltons' site says, "If a magnet will stick to it, it'll work!".
And that it's 110-120VAC only.

So if your not hooked up to shore power or not sure your inverter can handle it, and don't think you have the fuel and time to run your generator to power it.  Or you don't want to have to buy different cookware then this isn't for you.

But if you want an inexpensive fast and easy to use cooking solution, then yes, this little baby is a cooker!
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28