Ceiling Repair

Started by M & J, May 06, 2013, 10:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Froggy1936

Welcome to The Ill Never Get It All Done Club !! And if you do get it all done you will start some God awful project like installing a Diesel engine or Fuel Injection  Frank W%
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

M & J

Our ceiling was sagging from a previous leak so I had no choice.
If you mean beadboard as in paneling that might be ok. But true bead board from what I'm thinking is a hard wood product like tongue and groove flooring. I'd think twice about that. It weighs alot, you'll have trouble installing it over your head (another problem I had with the foam board) and even more so, all that weight vibrating and bouncing up and down while moving might not be a good thing.
Most here either recover with a vinyl material or simply paint what is there if there's no scaring or visible damage.
Plus I discovered a few things about how Tiffin made these older coaches. I originally said it looked like it was built from the inside out. The plywood you see in the first images is not the roof decking. There is a gap between that plywood and the underlayment for the roof. All the wiring is run in that gap. Also, when the frame  was tig'd up, the inside ceiling 1/4" plywood was laid over it, then that thin layer of spray foam insulation was added. The foam was what was holding the 1/4" plywood in place. I'm going to have to do some thinking about how I"m going to secure the new ceiling plywood in place since the pink stuff isnt strong enough to support the plywood. The staples on the edges were 1/2" shot directly in to the aluminum frame. I might go that route. What ever I do I have to keep the smooth flat finish because the foam that's under the vinyl isn't thick enough to hide many imperfections. I don't want to go to all this trouble to have a nice ceiling only to have it flawed by ripples and divots from screws or staples.
M & J

Froggy1936

Whenever you start looking around for something to do . Best to just get a bottle of Jack (Daniels that is) Drink about a third anyway you like And whatever you thought needed done will look Marvelous !!!  :laugh:  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

M & J

Hey - we're in Kentucky so our's is bourbon thank you. We live a county or so over from the Kentucky Bourbon Trail (google it). I gave up whiskey when I moved from Tennesse to Kentucky. Both very wise decisions.
M & J

Stripe

Wow, looking good! Have you gotten the vinyl all flattened and smoothed out yet?

Can't wait to see the finished work..

Fredric

Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

Espiritus

I did a write up about motorcycling on the bourbon trail! I love that area. . .although drinking the samples is NOT conducive to keeping the motorcycle upright. N:(

My ceiling is covered with brown carpet. . .so not sure I can paint it. Am thinking of pulling all the carpet off, but not sure if I would be creating a massive redo. What is under this carpet? How is it attached? If I could get rid of the carpet, I would gladly paint.

I don't believe in Hell, but if there is one,  I am SURE that it would include PAINTING. . .

Stripe

Under that carpet is the board it's glued to, after that there is insulation. 
I lucked out, my ceiling carpet is an off white. Push up on your ceiling, but not too hard and you will feel if it's been wet at anytime. It will feel spongy as if you could poke through it with your finger.
Fredric,

moonlitcoyote

Got any pics of the finished product?

M & J

Me? No. Its not finished yet. Same as when you saw it I think.

We have everything we nedd except warm weather to finish kiddo.
M & J

Stripe

I thought you had posted some starter pics?
Edited: for bad taste.  My apologies.
Fredric,

M & J

I did. I posted the link in z other thread.
M & J