Header installation on a 440/pros & cons

Started by Arberg0, November 24, 2008, 04:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron

Sent: 11/7/2002 8:42 PM

I just installed exhaust headers on my 76 Chieftain with a 440-3 engine. I could only find one company still making these headers. Hedman is the brand, the part no. is 79130. I got mine at NAPA for $220. + shipping. The Hedman catalog says they won't fit the 440-3 or industrial engines but mine fit fine. The motorhome must be raised about 12", the starter removed, then the starter and header installed at the same time for the left side. It's a little tricky but not impossible. It takes two people, one below holding the header and starter, the other on top installing the bolts. The right side is easier, no starter to contend with. If your motor mounts are in good shape you're OK, but if they're worn like mine are you my have to do a slight bit of frame grinding,  1/8 inch in two spots for the pipes to clear. By the way these headers have a lifetime warranty. The only gaskets that will fit come with the headers, the holes are too large on other gaskets. Hope this will help those that are having exhauts manifold problems. 

randy3

Ron,

Please note: After installing headers, (if your chieftan is like my 75 Brave) if you're hauling anything heavy, pulling long hills etc. that you really must install a good heat shield between your shifter cable and the headers. After installing my Stahl headers I climbed a long hill pulling a trailer. Shortly after that I was unable to shift from drive without heavy force on the shift lever.  Eventually the force required to move the cable buckled the cable under the dash making it useless.

What had happened was the cable lining had melted and, upon cooling seized the cable. After limping home by disconnecting the cable at the transimssion, (to reverse and to restart the engine). I got a new cable and installed a metalized fiberglass sheath over the cable housing. The very next time I took out the motorhome and the trailer I cooked the new cable.

Since that episode (and another new cable) I have fabricated an 18" long 16 ga.steel heat shield separating the the headers from the shift cable (and the transimssion cooling lines). This has performed well.

I guess when you're on the throttle hard for a while the headers really glow and throw off a whole lot of radiant heat. Put your shift cable in the shade of this heat and avoid the troubles I've had.

Good luck,
Randy
PS I wish I had a digital camera to show you the shield but anything that blocks the radiant heat will do. 

jhuey

Headers are a performance modification that in the close confines of the motorhome engine bay can (and will) cause problems.

Heat is the enemy, at the exit of the head the temps can reach 1200 deg F plus. Stock manifolds are better suited to handling that situation, thicker and less surface area to radiate from, the heat is there but can transfer to the head, (that is water cooled), and into the exhaust gas path and out. If headers are used they should be wrapped with header insulation.

Also as Randy said, shield any components that will be damaged by the excess heat. Heat being the real big enemy in motorhome performance, called heat soak, it will effect starter and any electronics or wires, gasoline supply (vapor lock), and brake fluid, (master cylinder is real close to the left manifold), these to name a few. In the stock configuration all of these problems were taken into account, as best as they could, heat shielding and placement of componets. Over the years (as we well know), these items either ended up missing or more likley rusted away.

I have never been a "header guy" only because I do my own wrenching. They plain are a pain in the rear! They tend to rust and warp much sooner than stock manifolds, and offer less room when doing maintenance.

If the performance out-weighed the hassle I think I would use them, but due to the space and heat sensitivity I chose to resurface one of mine and replace the cracked one with a new one(spendy , but the way I looked at it the old one got almost 30 years, I'll be happy with that). If using a header, use a header gasket, not a gasket used with a stock manifold. When replacing a manifold/header use new bolts and studs/nuts. The tourque will remain steady longer and you should check the tourque after a few heat ups and cool down cycles after new gaskets are used.

westcoast redneck

Sent: 11/19/2002 8:18 PM

To J. H.

I think you're dead on with the headers versus regular exhaust manifolds.  Mine gets so hot as it is I couldn't imagine headers.  With my '77 winny brave not much of a chance on making this thing airodynamic.  I have a 440-3 engine.  Works great and has tons of power but maybe, like others, have had a lot of troubles with my exhaust manifolds leaking.  I think and hope my final fix using solid copper gaskets and oversized dual exhaust system with finally do the trick.   
Thanks alot eh,  Dale. 

biggrock1

Sent: 3/9/2004 6:34 AM

My winnie has headers on the 440 and they are fine right now but I am thinking about the future. If the need to replace them should arise, where would I start to look for replacements?
Thanx in advance
                         biggrock1 

Oz

Sent: 3/9/2004 10:09 AM

I had done a search for headers about 5 or 6 months ago through the big name manufacturers.  The only I found with ones available were through Thorley and they were $329.  I would advise reading existing Discussions on choosing headers vs OEM exhaust manifolds first to get a full scope of the pros and cons.   - Sob 
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

jughead

Sent: 3/9/2004 4:16 PM

i bought apair of full length headers for around 180.oo headman headers lifetime warranty ...   www.summitracing.com

tallmage ohio 44278  ibelieve shipping is free... custom fit for winne... numby...

denisondc

Sent: 3/10/2004 7:03 AM

Will you be able to find replacement headers that match up to the rest of your exhaust system okay, same brand and length, etc? Otherwise you might have to modify the next part of your system. Of course that might be 10 years in the future. I cant imagine headers would hurt the engine in any way. denison 

denisondc

Sent: 3/10/2004 8:39 PM

I dont know about the 318, but the 413 and the 440 starters should all have a heat shield - or the starter wont live very long. And I dont think you can add it with the starter in place either! denison.   

Jupp318

3/11/2004 6:24 AM

Hi Guys,

I have been looking at headers on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2464676257

SSAUTOCHROME make a huge variety of headers including SB & BB Mopar.  Looking at the installed pictures on the ebay advert they look as if they should fit OK.
Does anyone have any experience of these headers or indeed have any opinions on them.  They do seem to be a reasonable price.

Cheers Ian...